Dragon Goby creating a mess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i just put a dragon goby (aka brown barred goby) into my tank and he started his sand sifting mombo jumbo and now the tank has little particles of sand floating around...

i have a canister filter running on the tank and im hoping it'll pick up all the particles but anyone have any idea if this is normal?

water was perfectly crystal clear before i added him

Yeah that is pretty normal. He is just stirring up some dust since your sand bed has probably been undisturbed until now. Make sure you have enough flow to keep the water circulating and make it to the canister filter. Make sure you wash out the sponges in your canister filter a little more often. The sponges will catch most of the particles floating around in the water. After he has been in there for a while things should settle down a bit.

He is trying to bury himself to give some cover. Do you have a cave he can hide in?

yeah im running a fluval g6 so cleaning it daily isnt a problem.

yeah theres caves for him to hid in, i didnt realize he was trying to dig himself a hole tho.... looks like he's eating

I thought that initially (and with them being filter feeders it's possible that occasionally they are), but mine stopped doing it when he had a cave for himself. From that point on he never actually filtered the sand for food ever again. The instant bloodworms or brine shrimp hit the water he went straight to it, no filtering required.

Does he seem thin? His stomach will be about as much distance back as his nose is from his side fins, behind those side fins, if that makes sense. He should show a small bulge.

Fully grown for a Violet Goby is two feet, 4 inches is a baby. Mine was 12 inches when I traded him (which many think is a normal full grown size). He started at 4 inches when I got him. Take a look at the attached photos (which aren't mine, but they show a 3.5 and 4 year old. The 4 year old is 2ft long).

I wonder if he might just be feeling things out. Any time I rearranged mine did tend to spend a while settling down. If yours isn't thin then he probably isn't looking for food, he's likely just trying to find things and be comfortable.

Attachments

• Aquala562.jpg
    Aquala562.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 647
  • Aquala563.jpg
    Aquala563.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 942
fluval g6? as in the super amazing filter thats mainly electronic and tests stuff while its running?

theres a reason this is in a saltwater forum.

this is a saltwater dragon goby

dragon-goby-284x300.jpg

and yeah thats the g6 im running. its great for carbon and super easy to clean.... and it shows me when the salinity goes up so i know i need to top up

lol 160 bucks off of a forum. it was 6 months old but he said the prime button wasnt working so he was selling it so cheap.

i brought it home, took appart the prime button, cleaned the salt creep and it worked perfectly

Lucky sob lol jk but those things are sweet but I would look at that and be like no way that's a scam so how did you trust the seller so much?

Lucky sob lol jk but those things are sweet but I would look at that and be like no way that's a scam so how did you trust the seller so much?

i bought it locally. i went to the guys house and picked it up and gave him cash

Back
Top Bottom