Dragon Loaches??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill2183

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about dragon loaches? I have searched the internet looking for a pic and have been unable to find anything about them.

Thanks for any help. :)

Never heard of em; they don't show up on a google search either. Is that a pet store name? You may want check www.loaches.com to see what type of loach you have.

Could it be an arowana / Dragon Fish / Gobioides broussonetti/ Violet Gobies.
Too many names for that one

The only fresh water Dragon fish i know is the Violet Goby (Gobioides broussonetti).They are quite differant to basic gobies because of the elongated body.

This fish was a murky green, very eel like and about 5 - 6 inches long. It had fins and a tail.

The fin on his back was almost the entire length of his body and was jagged like a dragon's tail or saw teeth.

I hope this will help someone ID the fish for me.

Thanks for all of your input.

Other possibility is that it is a Polypterus senegalus meridionalis (subspecies of the senegalus species). Try this link: http://www.aquajapan.com/encyc/ancient/polypteridae/polypterus/senegalusmeridionalis_e.html

The specimen I had was darker than this one, but the same in shape. If it is this fish, and you've bought it, get ready to a) buy a 180 gallon tank or b) return the fish. It grows to a whopping 2.2+ feet. I returned mine (as it had been mislabeled as a Polypterus palmas)!!! Also, search around through the Polypterus genus--others include the delhezi, ornatipinnis species (quite beautiful).

The only other fish I can think of is a water dog...

BTW, Polypterus species usually go by the name "bichirs," pronounced correctly as it would sound in French "bi-SHEER." Most ppl in the states pronounce them "bikers." Stores that know what they're talking about use the genus name, Polypterus.

Except for the coloring that definately looks like the fish. THe one I saw was a darker green. Kind of like a pond scum green.

Thanks for the info and the web site. Based on what you have told me I will not get this one. I did not realize how large it would get.

Yeah. I expect it was still a senegalus meridionalis specimen, as the coloration is almost always a browner/greener color.

Mind you, if you have a giant tank, I expect these guys would be a LOT of fun! They'd be the size of small alligators after a while!!!!!! Ropefish, same family, get to a meter in length.

One fine day when I make it big, I'll get that 500 gallon tank I've always dreamed of! Maybe I'll put these guys in with some arrowanas!

Back
Top Bottom