Dragonfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackdempsey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so I bought a dragonfish at Walmart because a friend of mine had one and I had never seen one before and it was the only one alive in the tank Walmart has the crappiest aquarium section ever but that's a whole other thread to post but I got this fish having no idea on what they eat or anything about them if there aggressive so if anyone has had or has these fish or know about them I'd greatly appreciate all the info you could provide thanks .

The so called 'Dragon fish' you got is a Dragon goby and is a Brackish fish. I would recommend to transfer your Freshwater to Brackish by using a salt mix and using the right amount. They are carnivorious, so you might need to get some carinivor pellets. By the way, how big is your tank? They need at least a 55+ gallon tank

I believe that is a violet goby, they are actually a brackish water fish and if you want the fish to be healthy and happy I recommend starting a brackish set up.

Attachments

• image-3607685418.jpg
    image-3607685418.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 20,690
They are Brackish.

They are not aggressive but to other "Dragon fish"

There actual name is Violet Goby.

They are nearly blind.

They grow to a foot.

They enjoy scraping algae off rocks with there teeth, and they are also filter feeders. They like blood worms and brine shrimp. You will probaly have to hand feed him.

There aquarium has to be at the least 30 gallons.

Put some PVC tubing in the tank and they will hide it.

I just thought it was a dragonfish cus that's what it said on the tag but I have it in a 30 gal and it's in brackish water with some balloon mollies and some platys and Cory cats and the mollies have to have the salt and i was told it was ok for the other fish because it would help on infections and keep them from getting sick

Corys don't like salt.

The so called "Dragonfish" is named that by Walmart so it sells. Just like the so called "Dinosaur Eel" its actual name is the Grey Bichir

They are Brackish.

They are not aggressive but to other "Dragon fish"

There actual name is Violet Goby.

They are nearly blind.

They grow to a foot.

They enjoy scraping algae off rocks with there teeth, and they are also filter feeders. They like blood worms and brine shrimp. You will probaly have to hand feed him.

There aquarium has to be at the least 30 gallons.

Put some PVC tubing in the tank and they will hide it.

Please post a picture, without determining what species of fish will do him no good...bichirs are different than gobys.

GrimmGoby said:
Corys don't like salt.

The so called "Dragonfish" is named that by Walmart so it sells. Just like the so called "Dinosaur Eel" its actual name is the Grey Bichir

Correct, at Wal-Mart "dragon fish" are the violet goby and "Dinosaur eel" is the Bichir.

HUKIT said:
My local Walmart sells bichirs labeled as dragonfish, it's been that way for years now!

Hmm may be different in other stores but I know in my store dragon=goby dinosaur=bichir. Anyway, I believe the OP said his fish looked like the picture I posted, which was the Goby.

Mogurako said:
Hmm may be different in other stores but I know in my store dragon=goby dinosaur=bichir. Anyway, I believe the OP said his fish looked like the picture I posted, which was the Goby.

Yea it looks just like that one you posted.

Jackdempsey said:
I have four and their doing fine same with my platys

They will always do "fine" buy will never thrive, this is why it is important to research fish that you buy not just buy them on a whim/impulse.

I would either return the Gobys or rehome the platy/cories and convert slowly over to a brackish set up for the mollies and Goby. I know you memtioned that you have "salt" in the tank, Aquarium salt isn't the same thing as the marine salt you would use to make a brackish set up.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

The above is a good article on the basics of a brackish set up. If that seems like to much work return the goby, trust me when I say you can return almost anything to Wal-mart.

Jackdempsey said:
I have four and their doing fine same with my platys

There is a fine line between surviving, and thriving, most people won't be able to see the difference.

This is a wonderful hobby to get into, and very addicting believe you me. But do your research before buying the intended fish, if not you put the fish at risk, and it will eventually suffer to death.

Back
Top Bottom