Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 02:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Dragonfish help

Has anyone ever kept a dragonfish in a low salinity brackish tank? (spec. grav. 1.01) Just curious. I just bought one and I wanted a little advice.

Also, the lady at the pet store (a friend of mine) had raised her on shrimp pellets, but would it also enjoy frozen bloodworms?

Finally, does anyone know the family to which it belongs? Like, what other fish are related? All my searches uncover deep-sea fish, and mine is a small aquarium fish. It looks a bit like a skeleton.

Thank you much,
lashilia

Old 07-15-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
Zic
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you go to PetSmart, if there's one in your area, they sell a magazine called Aquarium Fish. This month's issue has an article about them.

At the PetSmart here, for some odd reason, never places this magazine in their magazine area. They only have it displayed in one of the checkout lanes. They don't have it in every checkout lane, just one. I almost didn't see it, and I had been looking at every store I knew of that sold magazines. It's like it's some 'secret' magazine that the store is trying not to sell. Maybe some government secret agents will come arrest me now that I've let the secret out.
I don't know what's up with it, but if you ask around you may find it. Good Luck

Old 07-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #3

Ooh! Thanks! That helps a lot. There is a Petsmart fifty or so miles away. I will try to hit it!

lashilia
Old 07-15-2003, 03:53 PM   #4
Zic
Aquarium Advice Freak

You might call first. Fifty miles is a bit of a hike. Hate to see you drive all the way out there and they don't have the magazine! Maybe someone closer has it for sale.......
Old 07-15-2003, 04:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
You could get a subscription to the mag for 16 bucks from the website
Old 07-16-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Deliverme314
I assume when you talk about a dragonfish you are actually referring to the violet goby which has begun being called a dragon fish. I say this because Arowanas are generaly called dragon fish and are anythig but brackish. This goby prefers a brackish tank. When young they will do fine in fresh water and if started here the acclimation process to brackish should be slow. Up the Spec. grav by .02 every 6 months until you reach the 1.09 level so that when they are fully matured they are in a full brackish environment. An excellent fish by the way. Very prehistoric looking.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:21 PM   #7

Yep! I bought the mag. (Thanx again, Zic.) Yeah, it is the violet goby. It's a filter feeder; and I plan to raise it on bloodworms. I've had them in the past, but this will be my first in brack. I am running about 1.009 to 1.01 grav, fluctuating to avoid ick and stuff.

Thank you very much, guys!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
Zic
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hope you didn't have to drive fifty miles to get it, but if you did, oh well, Missouri is beautiful driving country, no?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Deliverme314
Awesome! I love that fish so much. Post pics of him and your brack tank if you have the capabilities.

Luke 6:28
Deliverme314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dragon, dragonfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com