Dragonfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lashilia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone ever kept a dragonfish in a low salinity brackish tank? (spec. grav. 1.01) Just curious. I just bought one and I wanted a little advice.

Also, the lady at the pet store (a friend of mine) had raised her on shrimp pellets, but would it also enjoy frozen bloodworms?

Finally, does anyone know the family to which it belongs? Like, what other fish are related? All my searches uncover deep-sea fish, and mine is a small aquarium fish. It looks a bit like a skeleton.

Thank you much,
lashilia

If you go to PetSmart, if there's one in your area, they sell a magazine called Aquarium Fish. This month's issue has an article about them.

At the PetSmart here, for some odd reason, never places this magazine in their magazine area. They only have it displayed in one of the checkout lanes. They don't have it in every checkout lane, just one. I almost didn't see it, and I had been looking at every store I knew of that sold magazines. It's like it's some 'secret' magazine that the store is trying not to sell. Maybe some government secret agents will come arrest me now that I've let the secret out. :D
I don't know what's up with it, but if you ask around you may find it. Good Luck

Ooh! Thanks! That helps a lot. There is a Petsmart fifty or so miles away. I will try to hit it!

:)
lashilia

You might call first. Fifty miles is a bit of a hike. Hate to see you drive all the way out there and they don't have the magazine! Maybe someone closer has it for sale.......

I assume when you talk about a dragonfish you are actually referring to the violet goby which has begun being called a dragon fish. I say this because Arowanas are generaly called dragon fish and are anythig but brackish. This goby prefers a brackish tank. When young they will do fine in fresh water and if started here the acclimation process to brackish should be slow. Up the Spec. grav by .02 every 6 months until you reach the 1.09 level so that when they are fully matured they are in a full brackish environment. An excellent fish by the way. Very prehistoric looking.

Yep! I bought the mag. (Thanx again, Zic.) Yeah, it is the violet goby. It's a filter feeder; and I plan to raise it on bloodworms. I've had them in the past, but this will be my first in brack. I am running about 1.009 to 1.01 grav, fluctuating to avoid ick and stuff.

Thank you very much, guys!

I hope you didn't have to drive fifty miles to get it, but if you did, oh well, Missouri is beautiful driving country, no?

Back
Top Bottom