Dream Tank: Piranhas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my dream tank(when I can afford it/have space for it) would be to have a piranha tank. I have done alot of research on them. The only thing I couldn't find is how big of a tank you would need. They like to shoal so are best kept it groups of like 5-6 and they get between 10-14 inches. How big of a tank would I need? I know for like oscars who get a simialir size you need like 125 and up for more than 1. Any ideas?

I saw this out of interest. What sort of setup do you need in general for these? (We don't get them in Australia I think).

Minimum and mean minimum of 150 for at least 4-5. You would be safer at 175. They are shy and need cover at first. Rocks and driftwood is recommended. You will need good filtration... they are messy eaters. And check your local laws. Some states they are illegal.

Alright thanks for the tank size, appreciate it. Never had big fish before

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You are welcome! If and when you get this up and going, you HAVE GOT TO SEND ME A PIC! I have always wanted a piranha tank but they are illegal as hell in Texas.

I saw this out of interest. What sort of setup do you need in general for these? (We don't get them in Australia I think).

A few things:You need a big tank for sure. They are skittish when young but this can continue till adult life so you are supposed to put the tank in a high traffic area. also they live in murky waters so its suggested you add blackwater extract and dim the lights. They will eat almost anything meaty(seafood,meat,bugs, etc) and can trained to eat pretty much anything including like dogfood or catfood. No idea why someone would do that but from what I have read people have done it.

A few things:You need a big tank for sure. They are skittish when young but this can continue till adult life so you are supposed to put the tank in a high traffic area. also they live in murky waters so its suggested you add blackwater extract and dim the lights. They will eat almost anything meaty(seafood,meat,bugs, etc) and can trained to eat pretty much anything including like dogfood or catfood. No idea why someone would do that but from what I have read people have done it.

Thanks for the information! Wow - they sure sound a handful but entertaining. I'll have to check the fish shops to see if we have anything similar.

Try Pacu. They get bigger but should not be illegal(they are legal in California). They also don't eat meat as they have huge chompers and crack nuts and fruit that fall from the trees in the Amazon.

Piranha, while cool and vicious looking with a reputation that is the tale of legend's,
in captivity they are rather wimpy, nervous and an overall boring fish, IMHO.
While it is true that a school can strip an animal rather quickly, if you looked closer it's a lot of skittish fish doing "hit & run" attacks. So while hundreds of them in a school is awesome horror movie fare, 8 in an aquarium is "meh".

as mentioned above, they need to be in a large biome, not a fish tank. for them to be at their best and most natural you need to recreate an Amazonian type tributary habitat for them.
That is something most folks don't/can't do, so rather than have the fish hide in plants and décor in a small tank, they go with a bare tank, and the fish live out their lives stressed out as if they drank a 12 pack of red bull.
and there always is that thing about them hitting fast and taking chunks out of your hand if your not careful...

They really are another fish that should ideally only be kept by the most ardent and experienced collectors, IMO.

and definitely don't get pacu, unless you like ugly fish.

If you want gnarly mean fish go saltwater and get triggers and moray eels, you'll forget all about piranha. ;)

Rocket gar is one that is doable from what I've read if you're set on predators. There are plenty of cichlids that are predators as well.

I once wanted piranha until I did some serious research on care and found out the level of care required and their activity level apart from feeding time is extremely boring.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom