Drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike4242

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody! I just got a new piece of driftwood that was out in a garden. How would I go about getting it ready to put into my tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm if it's been sat out I would start by boiling the bejeezus out of it.

Are you sure it's DW and not just wood?

The wood may still be alive so to speak and this will rot and grow fungus I believe...

Didn't attach. And a better pic

Attachments

• image-3990218696.jpg
    image-3990218696.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 99
  • image-4151985304.jpg
    image-4151985304.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 118
Mike4242 said:
Didn't attach.

Looks pretty dirty, a boil will help kill all the bugs and unwanted nasties.

I'd say a few boil cycles should be more than enough to ready it, but I buy my DW from a LFS so I'm not too experienced in the prep.

Hey everybody! I just got a new piece of driftwood that was out in a garden. How would I go about getting it ready to put into my tank?

Hello Mike...

Depending on the size of the piece and the temperature outside where you live you could hose it down real well with the pressure nozzle and let it dry in your garage. If the piece is smaller and can fit in a dishwasher, then take it inside and rinse it off with the sink spray nozzle real well and then into the dishwasher, no soap of course. The dishwasher temp gets around 180 degrees and that should be enough to kill any unwanted bacteria.

I have a lot of driftwood pieces in my tanks from the local river and pond beds. The local pieces are much nicer than the LFS stuff and the price is better too. I have pieces I attached plants to and floated or weighed them down with rocks.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally put it in, what do you think?

Attachments

• image-1661045647.jpg
    image-1661045647.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 107
That's awesome! Did you go with the dishwasher? How much cleaning did it take?

savage said:
That's awesome! Did you go with the dishwasher? How much cleaning did it take?

I ran it through the dish washer twice let it dry and then sent it trough again. It seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom