Drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone I have a question and would like some input on driftwood.. I have access to ALOT of drift wood at my job being that it is located off a large canal slightly off lake Erie.. My question is I would love to use some of this drift wood for my new tank i am setting up soon (55g long) and was wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about? I planned on trying to boil it to kill off any kinda parasites but would have to do it one half at a time.. Anyone had luck doing this? Thanks all

I have a 4 foot piece in my 150g. Just scrub it really well and let it boil. If it's a large piece I'd recommend a bathtub and just let it soak.

I've read some people put it in the dish washer or pressure wash it as well.

My driftwood in my tank I got right out of the creek down here in Missouri, I boiled it and then let it sit in a bucket and changed the water every so often till the water was clear. Its been doing great in my tank

Western new York represent!

Just make sure it is hard wood, not soft wood. You can check by pressing your nail into the wood. If it goes in, it is soft. You should find a new piece.

Hopefully you find some cool pieces, they're out there.

Anything out of Lake Erie I wouldn't use; after all it did catch fire! Plus all the strange algae. LOL.
Hi neighbor,Akron.

Haha what's up guys.. Didn't think there was any one from wny on here.. Yea I found one really cool piece but was soft so I had to toss it back the other two I got r real cool and solid. When I go to work today I'm going to try and look for some more..

mohican said:
Anything out of Lake Erie I wouldn't use; after all it did catch fire! Plus all the strange algae. LOL.
Hi neighbor,Akron.

All you have to do is boil / bathe in bleach then thoroughly soak and boil again lol.

Hey neighbor.

danpas said:
Haha what's up guys.. Didn't think there was any one from wny on here.. Yea I found one really cool piece but was soft so I had to toss it back the other two I got r real cool and solid. When I go to work today I'm going to try and look for some more..

Yeah, there are very few of us. If you ever want To trade plant/livestock let me know. Shipping from the south up here blows.

If it will fit in the oven you could also bake it to sterilize it.

PC1 said:
If it will fit in the oven you could also bake it to sterilize it.

True! Just always be careful to make sure it doesn't set fire.

Keep the temp low and you should be just fine. And away from an open flame of course.

MABJ said:
All you have to do is boil / bathe in bleach then thoroughly soak and boil again lol.

Hey neighbor.

Just a joke about not using the wood. Us locals know about lake Erie. Just boil and/or bleach as needed as stated by others on this thread.

mohican said:
Just a joke about not using the wood. Us locals know about lake Erie. Just boil and/or bleach as needed as stated by others on this thread.

Ahhhh yeah. The beaches can be gnarly. I'm in the Dunkirk area, so other than the rocks, Erie is decent here

My only worry is that it will float even after I soak it for a while.. Guess I could screw it to some shall I'll have to find some stainless screws tho

Dunkirk.. Spent alot of drinking nights at Sunnys years ago lol yea I wanna try and clean it up any how I don't want Zebra mussels in the tank lol

I've got some from Lake Superior in my tank now. I floated it for 3 days, then it was soaked enough for 2 small rocks to weigh it down.

I tied them together, and eventually I'll be able to take the string off.

Scummys! Lol. Yeah, it'd be wonderful if someone spent time cleaning it. Zebra mussels could be cool in a natural tank?

Yea but not sure how they would do in a tropical tank.. I really eventually wanna upgrade to 125 gallon, but can't until I get into my new house and remodel the basement. But I wanted to try to do a freshwater tank with Sunnys and purch and what not but from what I've read people really don't good luck doing it..

Wow! Sounds like theres quite a few of us from the NE region. Thought I was alone.

Back
Top Bottom