drift wood???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me what kind of wood this is. I'm thinking it is Java Wood, but not sure. I am boiling it now to eventually be able to put it into my tanks. Three pieces all the same kind. Or is it sandblasted grape vine?????? Second picture, can anyone tell me whether I could use this product (gravel) I found in my LFS, never seen it before, is it good stuff???????

Attachments

• IMAG0388.jpg
    IMAG0388.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMAG0389.jpg
    IMAG0389.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 107
You could use that gravel. It should have a shelf life. So look for that. I'v seen it but never used it myself. So can't say if it would help with cycle.

Like I said it may or may not help. There are lot of products that are said to boost a cycle. I have used seeded sponges from a company anglesplus.com That tank cycled in two weeks. Other on AA have used safestart and said it helped. The sure thing is to use filter pad or gravel seeded from a cycled working system. I do think the gravel is more expensive right? It's up to you
If you want to pay for it and try it.

I used that gravel, CaribSea peace river the finest size grain. It was a sale on drsfosterandsmith.com for like $24 for 20-25 lbs I forget.

Anyway once you open the bag the bacteria product and a conditioner products are enclosed in sealed packages in the sand, you must actually add the liquid, it is not contained within the gravel itself. I just tossed both little packets.

On a whim last minute I did buy a small bag of "Betta sand" (it also stated it contained starter bacteria within the wet sand, this time no packets) and I left it in my tank in a little glass bowl only during the cycle. Mine also went fast about 2 weeks using pure ammonia.

Oh yeah, I did rinse the gravel pretty well, it needed it IMO. My tank is planted and I don't recommend the color I had if you use Eco complete black substrate, they clash horribly. Otherwise Peace River is a very nice color and I find it to be a good product, just no comment about the bacteria starter claims the package makes as I wouldn't know.

I'm not positive but that appears to be grapevine.

I haven't started the tank yet, but needed to know because i may use it if it is ok. It would just be in a ten gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom