Drift wood growing hair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nd90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two big pieces of drift wood in my tank and today I noticed that the one piece has what looks like brown hair growing on it I have never seen this before and it was not their yesterday . Is this something I should worry about ? or is this a normal thing when you have drift wood

I have two big pieces of drift wood in my tank and today I noticed that the one piece has what looks like brown hair growing on it I have never seen this before and it was not their yesterday . Is this something I should worry about ? or is this a normal thing when you have drift wood

Do you have a picture? Mine did something similar but it was more fuzzy. It eventually cleared up on it's own. How long has the dw been in the tank?

Wood has been in the tank since November and I soaked it for almost a month before putting it in the tank

Ive had the same problem... i started doing 40-50% weekly PWC... its starting to clear up. Its some type of algae... not sure if its beard or something else... You are either over feeding or not maintaining enough.

how often do you do a PWC? whats your levels look like? Light source? etc

I'm doing about a 25-30 percent water change on a 90 gallon weekly ,all levels are fine and I'm using the tank light maybe 4 hours a day rest is just the natural light in the room but its not direct sunlight feeding everyday once a day pellets or frozen blood worms and everything is eatin . Will this growth have any harm on my fish?

i dealt with it for 6-8 months before i started to get annoyed that i could barely see my DW any more... with no ill effects to the fish.... it also started to grow on my plants... once i got my [moderator edit] in gear to get rid of it... its been about 3 weeks now and i have seen a substantial loss of it on the DW.. and i trimmed all the sections of plants that had it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with not the best pic

Pic of the drift wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 290
Here is another pic it's sorta hard to see

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 208
How old is the dw? If its new, the discoloration is normal and expected. Its the tannins in the dw leaching out. Wont harm anything but you can do frequent pwc to help clear it up.

Yeah it's new only had it in there less than two weeks:)

Perfectly normal.. it will continue to tint the water a brownish color for the next few months depending on the size of the dw. Some people actually prefer the look as it looks more natural....

frequent pwcs will help but it wont hurt the fish.

Back
Top Bottom