drift wood (homemade)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grod9999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does putting it in the oven help any at all....I'm doing it for my first time, and some advice. Thank you

Boil it in a big pot for at least an hour. (not the oven)

it helps get it water logged, kills any nasty stuff on board, and gets rid of some of the tannin so it doesn't turn your water too brown.

You can boil it and then put it in a bucket and put a rock on it and keep every part of the driftwood in the water. I do that and I works great.

It's almost 32 inches, and can't boil it, I have it soaking in a tub now.

Wild...the tank I'm using it in its a 55 gallon and set up like a river so tannin wont bother me horribly

What do you guys think of adding a brick or two to this tank aswell?

ForumRunner_20131207_112708.jpg

Just wanna make it seem natural, and it give the fish something to hide n aswell, since there isnt much hiding spots

Take a look at lace rocks. They are perfect for aquariums and they look nice as well.

My biggest comment is that bricks are far from natural looking, just remember that straight lines aren't natural.

I have baked wood in the oven at 200 degrees for 12+ hours in addition to boiling the wood and like flipping it with tongs (it was too big to boil all at once). Worked great!

Kool that's what I've been doing...not so much 12 hrs about a hr or 2 at a time getting hotter each time. And then soaking it again...

Back
Top Bottom