driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob28

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i just picked up a nice piece of driftwood for my pleco and was wondering if i had to do anything to it b4 introducing it to the tank.

ive heard that you're supposed to boil it first? maybe?

i dunno

Where did you get it? If from a LFS a rinse should be all it needs. If you found it then you should boil it. If it does not sink you will need to water log it.

Depends on where you 'picked it up' from. I picked up a large piece from the local beach. It was already waterlogged and I most of the tanin has already been leached out. If your piece is from the beach, then soak it in a bucket/container of water and bleach (I put in a full cup) solution for 24-48 hours. Then rinse/soak/scrub with daily water change (don't add bleach anymore) for at least a week. If your water doesn't turn brown during soaking/rinsing then it's should be OK to add into the tank. Boiling will remove most of the tanin. Good luck.

when i bought mine from ebay. i soaked it in a big trash can with water from the water heater. for 3 weeks. when i put it in the tank in about 4 weeks the tank turned a tea color. so for six months i had to do 20% water changes now 1 year later its good to go. hope this helps

If it's Malaysian driftwood it will leach for a year..when i buy any new pieces i soak them for at least a month in a garbage bin changing the water every week although it's great if you want to breed amazon type fish:-D

Where did you get it? If from a LFS a rinse should be all it needs. If you found it then you should boil it. If it does not sink you will need to water log it.

got it at lfs and it floats

I was also considering getting some driftwood for my 55, thanks a bunch for the info. Are there any fish that do not care for or that it is not recomended for?

If you've got diggers like eartheaters or worse, you'd just want it to be secure enough to not topple onto them. Otherwise, the driftwood--properly treated--shouldn't really affect your PH, and so it's a matter of taste.

I have a large piece in with some CA live-bearers that would look more natural with rocks, but then again, I have neons & otos, too. Purity challenged, I am.

well, i soaked the wood for a few days and put it in the tank. i still floated so i had to weigh it down with some rocks. it actually looks pretty cool how the rocks are sitting on it. ill post some pics later.

thanx 4 all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom