driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
any tips on bringing out the tannings from store bought driftwood. its to big for boiling and had been soaking for 2 weeks, 100% water change every few days.

any tips on bringing out the tannings from store bought driftwood. its to big for boiling and had been soaking for 2 weeks, 100% water change every few days.

Go to your nearest sportsman's store, and buy a crab pot, they make them big enough to boil anything that will fit inside of a sane sized aquarium.

What are the measurements of the wood? I've been boiling a few pieces of wood for a few days now by just setting one half in until it stays pretty clear and then turning it over and doing the same thing. If it's entirely too big then the only thing you can do it continue to let it soak.

hmm that could work. also, i heard activated carbon will help keep the tannings down when i do eventually put it in the tank, is that true?

It helps, but you'd have to replace it every couple weeks. It really doesn't make a big difference though. Seachem Purigen does a great job. You just put it in your filter and it'll get darker the longer it's in there. Once it gets really dark you can take it out, soak it in a bleach/ water mix until it lightens up, rinse it very well...then rinse it again. You'd need to soak it for around 24 hours. After that its good to go. One bag that you buy can last you up to 6 months depending on how bad the tannins are and how many times you have to recharge it.

Yeah, I paid $9.99 for it at my LFS. I bought the single sack with the Purigen in it. You can buy a bottle of the purigen, but you have to buy the sack meant for it since it's so small.

Mine is 55g and I only have one. I think that one sack is good for up to 90g. don't quote me on that. I just feel like I read that in the booklet which I no longer have. Two won't hurt anything. If you decide on it, just make sure you rinse it out very well before putting it in the tank. Once you drop it in the filter there will be little beads coming out into the tank. As long as it's rinse well before putting it in there you don't need to worry about it. My fish ate it and spit it back out.

Back
Top Bottom