Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been soaking for 3 weeks I just want things to go faster also it's a big piece

I really think attaching it to stone is your best bet. It can take a very long time to get it to sink on it's own.

I bought Mopani Driftwood from Petco and it said on the label it would sink. Not sure what they do, but it worked, I put it in the tank and sank right to the bottom.
Generally wood will not sink until it is waterlogged, so short of letting it soak in a bucket for a week or tie it down to a rock ... check out Petco ... I'm sure Petsmart must also carry it.

jcolon said:
I bought Mopani Driftwood from Petco and it said on the label it would sink. Not sure what they do, but it worked, I put it in the tank and sank right to the bottom.
Generally wood will not sink until it is waterlogged, so short of letting it soak in a bucket for a week or tie it down to a rock ... check out Petco ... I'm sure Petsmart must also carry it.

It's a hardwood root... Of course it sinks lol. The issue with mopani is that depending on the piece, it can leach for years.

No-more-Nails ?
Only joking, that's probably not good for fish, and difficult to apply under-water !
You can put it in a pressurized water container, about 3x atmospheres will make a 3-week soak take just one week (simple math really). A decent pressure vessel should cost no more than around $5000, is the wait (or weight) beginning to sound good now ???

Find a different piece of wood. It may not be worth wasting more time on if you are not wanting to tie it down in any way.

You can get very realistic resin-mould ornamentals. I have what looks like the base of a small tree with root in my tank (sinks no problem) and you would be hard-pressed to tell it apart from the real stuff. Mopani is the wood to decorate your tank with, also benefits some fish species like pleco's. It's a bit more expensive, but it's not like you are having to buy some every couple of weeks, so IMO well worth the extra.

No-more-Nails ?
Only joking, that's probably not good for fish, and difficult to apply under-water !
You can put it in a pressurized water container, about 3x atmospheres will make a 3-week soak take just one week (simple math really). A decent pressure vessel should cost no more than around $5000, is the wait (or weight) beginning to sound good now ???

Pressure cooker?

Your best bet is to just tie it down. Or wait and let it work it out on its own.

I went through 3 different pieces until I got one that worked. I was lucky enough to get line out of the Colorado river though. So I wasn't out any cash.

Back
Top Bottom