Driftwood!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got myself a nice piece of driftwood( more of like a branch!!) and I've boiled it for 30 min.
How do I get it ready for my tank??

Wel that's great. But sometimes d/w releases tanins for long. Wen I bought my one. I kept soak in a bucket for 2 weeks in tap water and changed the water in every 12th hour. Lastly I boiled and after that I add it in my tank.
U can google about the fact for alternate way but the best way is to hav patience and keep soak it in water for atleast 1 week.

sayan said:
Wel that's great. But sometimes d/w releases tanins for long. Wen I bought my one. I kept soak in a bucket for 2 weeks in tap water and changed the water in every 12th hour. Lastly I boiled and after that I add it in my tank.
U can google about the fact for alternate way but the best way is to hav patience and keep soak it in water for atleast 1 week.

Well boiling the wood causes the tannins to release quicker.

I boiled mopani for bout an hour, changing the water once I couldn't see through it at all and it was fine after that...

you could boil water then pour it over the stick in the bathtub or something.
I just threw mine into the tank and it released a bunch of tannins. its not really going to hurt anything just turn the water colors

but like others have said it could release tannins for months and your particular branch seems like a pain :D

If you want, you can just put the wood in. It will only produce tannins which won't harm your tank. It will only give it a yellowish colour.

Fish4bass8 said:
How do I make it sink??? W/out using any rock or extra to make it sink!!

Soak it to waterlog it. You will have to weigh it down either in a tub or in the tank. No way around it. Once it's soaked through with water you can remove the weights.

Illinois grows some of the finest hardwoods in the nation, such as black walnut, red oak, white oak, yellow poplar, ash, hickory, hard maple, and soft maple

I would go for walnut and oak as they would be the densest woods in my experience with woodworking

If you want to attach your driftwood to the bottom immediately without soaking it you can. Get some fishing line and a suction cup with either a hook or a loop built into it, make sure it doesn't contain any metal. Tie the driftwood with the fishing line to the suction cup, move the substrate over, stick it to the bottom of the glass and recover with substrate. Works like a charm. ;)

Back
Top Bottom