Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsFan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Quick question, with a PH of 6.6, would adding Driftwood be bad? I have a few pieces of Malaysian Driftwood i would love to use for my tank. I am steering the tank concept to Dwarf Cichlids and would love the Tannin effect in the water. I just don't want to lower the PH drastically.

Thanks!

if it dose put some crushed coral in a cup and hide it in the tank and it will bring up the ph most cichlids like a higher ph. with buffers u have to add it every water change so i use the coral method

Agreed, I forgot to mention that. I use a media bag full of crushed coral to keep pH up. I will add that stability is more important IMHO. you don't want pH swings up and down, down and up. Stability is key.

Adding driftwood will have the most minuscule almost undetecable effect on PH, add as much as you want without adding any buffers that alters water chemistry.

HUKIT said:
Adding driftwood will have the most minuscule almost undetecable effect on PH, add as much as you want without adding any buffers that alters water chemistry.

I will have to disagree here, I know everyone says your most knowledgable and everything and I don't doubt that you are. But the fact of the matter is driftwood will effect pH and adding as much as you want all at once IMO is just asking for issues.

Are this issues going to be life threatening? Most likely not but a change non the less.

The OP should be aware of the possible changes to the pH that driftwood may cause.

Do you need buffer? No, but I do think crushed coral is a good idea to help keep the pH stable.

I don't mean any disrespect to you at all. I don't know big words and may not have as much knowledge as you and I respect your opinions/advice. But when I disagree I just well....

Disagree....

Your welcome to disagree all you want but the simple fact remains and most experienced aquarist will agree the measureable difference is minute. This information has come from decades and literally thousands of API tests.

What are you basing you conclusions on?

HUKIT said:
Your welcome to disagree all you want but the simple fact remains and most experienced aquarist will agree the measureable difference is minute. This information has come from decades and literally thousands of API tests.

What are you basing you conclusions on?

My own experience is all I can base my opinions on. I've had pH drops, nothing drastic but measurable non the less, I have 5 pieces of driftwood in my tank, I boiled them, soaked them to make sure they were clean. They still released some tannins into m water and like I said there was a drop.

I think the biggest drop I saw was from 8.0 I checked an it was 7.6-7.8 not serious in nature but a drop. That's all I have is my own experience to offer up, it may not be years of experience as some and I may not have all the knowledge as some but I do have Dino's experience with his own tanks and can offer up what has happened to me and what I did to correct situations.

So we agree to disagree, that's what makes this a great forum to be a part, you disagree without the egos getting in the way.

So....

That's pretty much it, that's where my conclusions came from.

I have had many many different pieces of driftwood in my tank, and I hate to disagree with you here convict but I have not had any drop in PH what so ever. My PH stays around 8.8. I actually have to use a neutralizer in the tank to keep it at a lower level. Even if the PH does drop because of the wood, I don't believe it will be anything drastic.
There always has been and always be a ongoing debate on the fact.
Best advice I can give to the OP is try the driftwood and monitor your levels, if you notice a drastic change just take it out.
If you need any helpful hints on driftwood here is an article that I love to promote :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/introduction-adding-decor-aquarium/

Happy fish keeping!

Tannic acid (aka the brown in the water) does lower ph. The degree it lowers it depends on the hardness of the water it's in.

That said, just because the ph may drop with the addition of tannins does not mean there is a lack of buffers, so dumping chems in to compensate can be like a dog chasing his tail.

As I said... And after this I'll let a dead dog die.

I meant to say, you can use a buffer if needed and you can also use crushed coral IF it effects the pH that much.

My response was to simply let the OP know that driftwood can effect pH, as little as it may effect it, it can, the OP asked a simple question.

Driftwood can effect your waters pH, will it? Who knows, my answer is solely based in my experience.

My isn't gold, and its not set on a hill carved in marble.

I stand my ground, driftwood "can" effect pH and that's what the OP wanted to know.

I'll leave this dog dead now, agree to disagree or whatever you wanna call it.

I never said a huge change but again like a broken record was stating the chance is there.

I too have a link ;)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php

I have spoken enough on the subject of driftwood.... Anyone wanna talk football?

Last edited:
Straight answer is does driftwood lower ph yes is it an issue not usually. add coral if it gets too low just know that stable but alittle bit off from ideal is better than fluxuating but closer to ideal.

I've loads of driftwood in my tank, water from the tap pH of 7.0, water in the tank 6.7 - 6.8, I also add almond leaves at times at which point it drops to around 6.4 - 6.5, very little difference - most South American Cichlids like a lower pH, African like it higher. I wouldn't worry to much about buffering, you will cause more problems raising the pH than its worth.

I appreciate all the feedback!

At this point I have yet to use the driftwood I bought. Figure I would let the new fish settle first.

The fish will be south american so I want the lower ph. I just want to keep it around 6.6 so my loaches and gourami are not affected too heavily. If the wood won't lower it substantially I will use it. I want it more for the tannin look in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom