Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys... ok so i have 2 pieces of driftwood and i soaked them for about 5 days and boiled them for 2 hours and then put it in a bucket full of water again. the one does not leach anymore but the other one still does and that one is the pretty one. i googled it and some say that it will still leach but is there another way to treat it. :thanks:

If you're just looking to get all the tannins out, then boiling and soaking is your best bet. Sometimes you just have to wait it out. I've soaked some wood for a month and still didn't have all the tannins out.

My driftwood took about 6 months to stop leaking. Some fish actually prefer tea color water though. Look into it!!

Preparing Driftwood

Hi guys... ok so i have 2 pieces of driftwood and i soaked them for about 5 days and boiled them for 2 hours and then put it in a bucket full of water again. the one does not leach anymore but the other one still does and that one is the pretty one. i googled it and some say that it will still leach but is there another way to treat it. :thanks:

Hello Jok...

Boiling will soften the piece and after a short time in the water, the piece can break apart. The best way to prep the piece is to soak it in some of your replacement water and replace the water daily. Do this for a few days and then put it into the tank. If it continues to leach tannic acid, then a series of weekly water changes will help. The tannins won't hurt the fish, but aquatic plants with specific lighting conditions can be effected. Most of us though, just do the water changes.

B

The tannins that are leaching out into your water wont hurt your fish, but can actually help lower your pH some. Some fish like it a lot because it partially resembles their natural environment. :)

Back
Top Bottom