Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve2223

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have access to some young sugar maple trees 2 to 3 inches at the base in dia. the owner wants to thin them out. I was thinking of digging the roots out and cut the trunk at the base boiling it for two to three hours then gluing it to a rock to hold it under. Finally question, is it ok to use sugar maple as drift wood?
Steve2223

Not fresh. If you really want to use it, I would suggest cutting off the parts you like and letting them weather in your back yard for no less than 6 months.

Sappy wood will make your water funky and I would expect it to take at least a year for sugar maple to dry out. Take a look around for fallen trees. You want one that is aged and dry but not yet crumbling. Most wood is OK (no conifers, no walnut) but hardwood lasts longer.

Using Local Driftwood

I have access to some young sugar maple trees 2 to 3 inches at the base in dia. the owner wants to thin them out. I was thinking of digging the roots out and cut the trunk at the base boiling it for two to three hours then gluing it to a rock to hold it under. Finally question, is it ok to use sugar maple as drift wood?
Steve2223

Hello Steve...

I'd pick up as much as possible if you want to put forth the effort. Warm weather is coming and the pieces can be left out in the sun to dry. You could also put the pieces in your garage for as long as it takes to dry them out until the weather outside starts to heat up. Once the pieces are removed from the roots in the ground, the drying process will begin. In the mean time, I'd go looking in your local rural areas for some nice looking rocks to weigh down the driftwood.

B

Back
Top Bottom