driftwood and ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i want to use drift would in a tank, but for the fish i want to keep i need a higher ph 7.5-8.0. i was wondering if i added a pound of cc, and use a good amount of buffer it would stabelize the ph. Its a 10 gallon tank. TIA

im pretty sure the driftwood wont change the ph dramatically as much as the cc would. and i have driftwood in my tank and have a ph of 7.2. my ph is normally around 7.4.

you spelled bump wrong u bumb :)

I second Krap - driftwood is not going to have a dramatic impact on pH to the point where it will interfere. I would skip the buffer and just use the CC - that should be all you need to keep the fish happy, and is as simple as can be.

Since the tank is small, and the driftwood is small, you may be able to boil the driftwood in a big pot, and make "tea". Doing this will get much of the tannins out of the wood before you put it in your tank, and minimize the impact of the driftwood on the color and pH of your tank water. I second TankGirl- no buffer.

Back
Top Bottom