Driftwood and water Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys.

i have a Discus tank thats got 3 peices of driftwood, small, medium and large, i use a small light, on a 4ft tank it's a 18" light.

it's seems the water, although ALL the water chemistry is excellent (and i change 30% of it every 3 days)that it's got an softy brownish amber tinge to it, it's not typically crystal clear. i was wondering from those people with driftwood in there tanks that this is a normal thing with the water and DW or theres something in my driftwood thats casueing this..

the tanks 4 months old now. the woods been in 3. i really don;t mind about the color, as it gives the impression that it's deep in the amazon. i was just curious

What you are seeing is called Tannins. This is a chemical that does no harm to fish and does turn the water yellow/brown. It will dissipate in time. Frequent water changes will help but since you have discus, you are doing this already.

depends on how long the DW was soaked in water before it was put in the water. it'll continue to leach tannins till they are exhausted. i still have a light coffee color in my 20g after a month (4 small pieces).
AC will help with the issue, but it'll also remove some minerals / chemicals that you might actually need in a discus tank...

Back
Top Bottom