Driftwood Art

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MtgVo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sorry to bug you guys but I'm just curious about what exactly is driftwood art? Is it essentially the same as Driftwood except it has a slate on the bottom? Or is it fake driftwood?

Anyhow, If i were to buy some driftwood art. What procedure should I follow? Do i still need to boil it and etc? Or can i just water it down and put it in my tank. Thanks

I'm not familiar with the term "driftwood art" - maybe it's just a brand name?

Driftwood purchased in the lfs doesn't need the extensive preparations required for driftwood you collect yourself. Nonetheless, I still pour a few kettles worth of boiling water over it just in case - you never know what crawled and peed on it in the warehouse. I figure that this should wash off dust and kill any fungal spores that may have landed on the piece during storage.

I only use real driftwood, after several disappointing experiences with the fake resin stuff. Although it is beautifully detailed and life-like, the fake driftwood always seems to shed paint and look like crud after a few months under water. I'm talking about the good, expensive pieces sold in the lfs. Although they may be aquarium safe, they certainly aren't aquarium-durable IME.

I just bought some off of Bigalsonline.com I don't need any real preparation for these either right? Thnx

I think you're referring to the brand "Driftwood Arts". It's pale driftwood attached to slate. The hatchery I go to carries this brand. It has been kiln-dried and bleached. I would still pour a few pots of boiling water over the wood part; like QTOFFER says, this will help clean it off and remove any debris on it from storage or shipping.

yeah i got some driftwood art and i boiled it just to sterilize it, and i scrubbed it but i didn't have any problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom