Driftwood being a butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a piece of driftwood at the beach today. actually its a HUGE driftwood. looks very cool. i boiled it, you name it. problem. when i put it in my tank, it floats like a cork!

do you think water will eventually soak up and itll sink? or is it unsinkable...

img_465046_0_86c163376a405fcf4e304f61af40f46f.jpg

The boiling should help it sink a bit better. I would try tying it to a rock, and putting it in a bucket for a week or so.

Sometimes it takes months for it to sink and sometimes a piece will never sink. Usually I toss it in a rubbermaid container with a lid or if it's not causing problems leave it floating in the tank. If a month or 2 goes by and it still hasn't sunk I find some way to weigh it down.

this is exactly what happened to me I was at the beach and see a piece of driftwood and I thought that would look nice in my tank. Well it floats so its being held down by rocks in my tank. but yout piece is WAY to big for a rock to sit on without floatiGood luck with it I can't help to much

yeh so after stuffing it with several semi large rocks, i placed my 30 lb dumbell ontop of it, and it finally sank!

yes! another reason to put off working out :D

zenn said:
expoxy it to a heavy piece of slate.

I tried using epoxy and even aquarium sealant but I couldn't get it to hold the wood to the slate. What did work perfectly was to drill a hole (or a few for a really big piece) and attach the wood to the slate using stainless steel screws and washers.

Epoxy isn't going to hold that monster chunk of wood to a piece of slate. You're going to have to drill the slate and install a few bolts with washers.

Edit: I guess I'll read Page 2 before posting next time.

Usually wood found on the beach has been in the water for a good while, and floated its way to the shore, so often it will never sink. It makes good wood for a turtle tank or crab tank, for critters that need to get out of the water from time to time.

I hope the dumbell you put in the tank is epoxy coated. I think you'll likely have to screw it to a flat piece of slate, as suggested.

Back
Top Bottom