Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

driftwood/ decorating questions

I have always wanted to use driftwood in my aquarium. I have been reading a lot about tannis leaching into the water and avoiding parasite problems. Would driftwood purchased from a store have these problems or have they already been solved by being dried and sold in store?

I also dont have any live plants because I cant afford the special lights, but wanted some opinions on how to arrange some plastic greenery with the driftwood so that it looks sorta real :p

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as driftwood goes; hopefully, the wood sold in stores has no parasites. You could always put it in boiling water. Driftwood (at least mine) leaches tanins. Some like it and some do not. I like it because the brown tint makes my neon's colors pop. it does go away in time with partial water changes.

Plants - what type of light do you have? You may be able to grow Anubias and Java ferns on your driftwood.

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have standard flourescent lights that seem to be only good at growing algae :p i tried growing some plants before and they didnt take

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi there. I purchased a small piece of driftwood for my tank to help with the chemistry of the water and I didn't experience and browning of the water. I did make sure to rinse it really good, though.

Do you know the color temp. value (K) of your lights? Or the brand of lights you have?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

It was a bulb my dad used about 8 years ago or more on his fish tank. I have no idea what kinda it is. All i know is it is a 12" [?] bulb white light

Old 04-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That's a bummer. I have low light plants in my tank (banana, wisteria, sword, pink, and a money wart plants) and they all seem to be doing ok with the lights that came with the aquarium start kit (besides the wisteria but that is a whole other issue).

Here is some basic light info. that might help.
http://www.tetra-fish.com/aquarium-i...ng-basics.aspx

If you can save up some money and upgrade your lights to something that is 5500K to 7500K, you should have no issue growing low light plants. The model number of the lights will depend on how deep your tank is, but there are a lot of websites out there that will give ya that info.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well you have florescent, thats the best thing, and a 12 inch 15 or t8 will only cost you about $8-$12 and even a small piece of drift wood, will cost you that much, if it came from the it will be fine, you can put it in boiling water for a few mins or pour boiling water on it. and Anubis and java fern will be great, and java moss will grow in the dark. i would invest in an $10 bulb, your tank will look better fish will be happier and healthier. and less work for you.

what is in the tank and how big is it?
Old 04-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 46gal bow front with 4 tetras [two glofish two blackra skirt], a dozen neons, 4 male guppies, 3 albino cory cats, 1 bristlenose pleco, 2 zebra snails. I have some plastic decor at the moment with sand substrate

Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you boil the wood for a few hours before placing it in your tank a lot of, if not most/all, of the tannins will leach out. Also some types of wood don't release very much tannins while others can leach for months. If you don't want to boil, and you don't want tannins in your tank you can soak it in a tub for a few weeks also. Purigen also works pretty well at removing tannins from the water if you don't want to do either of those. Although I would make sure you at least rinse it in hot/warm water.

Also it may float at first but boiling helps it sink faster. Alternatively you could weight it down with rocks or wait for it to sink.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefishguy124 View Post
well you have florescent, thats the best thing, and a 12 inch 15 or t8 will only cost you about $8-$12 and even a small piece of drift wood, will cost you that much, if it came from the it will be fine, you can put it in boiling water for a few mins or pour boiling water on it. and Anubis and java fern will be great, and java moss will grow in the dark. i would invest in an $10 bulb, your tank will look better fish will be happier and healthier. and less work for you.

what is in the tank and how big is it?
Which is better flourescent or led?

Tags
deco, decor, drift, driftwood, question, questions, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com