Driftwood discoloring water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadman2003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Despite soaking the piece for a number of days prior some of the tannins reminded. What is a good way to remove the discoloration? Can I run a carbon filter to catch them, or are water changes the only way? What about those tank cleaning products, like Tidy Tank?

No, I don't have a filter on the tank, it will be run by a natural (plant) filter, which is taking root as I type.

There are no inhabitants in the tank, it's still cycling.

Thanks,
Robert

If you don't mind the discoloration, as long as you boiled the wood to sterilize it, it should be safe and I know neon tetras love the color of the water and won't hurt your fish.

I have a piece of driftwood that I boiled 5 times and it never got all the tannis out. I finally put it in my tank and it made the water look like tea. It was so dark that I could hardly see my fish! I love the look of driftwood But I guarantee that a filter will not get all the tannis out of the water. You will just have to do water changes all the time. My water got really full of tannis and I did three 50% water changes and the water still has a brown tint to it. I am soaking my driftwood in a bucket right now to see how much more tannis I can get out of it before putting it back in my tank. Frequent water changes should work though.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the replies, yes it was boiled and the soaking took place in dechlorinated water too. I guess I'll just start doing water changes, since there are no fish yet I figure I can do them pretty frequently (daily?) so long as I don't disrupt the bio culture I'm trying to form.

Its a personal preference to get rid of the color, I'm sure the fish's natural environment gets pretty murky.

At any rate, it will decrease over time. I also placed a bag of Purigen in my filter, which seemed to make a pretty big difference in reducing the color of the water.

I put the carbon bags that came with my fluval 406 in it when I set up my 55 with the driftwood. The discoloration was gone in no time. I ran the filter with the carbon for about a month and then removed them. Clear water ever since.

Back
Top Bottom