Driftwood for plecostomus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecostomus129

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently took a trip to Colorado, and I picked up some driftwood for my pet plecostomus while on a white water rafting trip through one of the rivers out there. Does anybody know if it would be safe to add this driftwood to my freshwater aquarium? The wood was from fresh water as well, and I have been soaking it in a bucket for about a month to allow it to release excess color. Please respond if you know.

I've used a lot of drift wood I've found in my tanks south or any trouble, is the pieces small enough to boil?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not knowing what area you were in--and definitely not being a tree expert--just guessing I'd say that it's either cottonwood or some sort of pine/spruce what have you. From what I understand, you should stay away from the coniferous trees because of the sap, but the deciduous ones are mostly ok (though the denser the wood the better). Not sure if that helps or not, but maybe pictures would help to identify what kind of tree it was from?

Here is a picture of the wood:

Attachments

• 1414770825996.jpg
    1414770825996.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 84
Also, we were in the Animas river near Durango, Colorado. It was freshwater, but I don't remember what types of trees there were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom