Driftwood Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planing to set up a 55g African Biotope, and because of a few species of fish (the main one being upside down catfish) I want to do a heavy amount of driftwood. I found a sight that has tons of different types of wood for much cheaper than any aquarium sights, but I'm not sure if they are aquarium safe. I know it says the sanded manzita is, but not sure about the others. The other kinds I'm looking at are the grapewoods, ghostwoods, and natural driftwood.
the page: Branches - Natural

I'm hoping these are safe, because it would simply be much cheaper to get wood from there than other online stores. Thanks!!!:thanks::thanks:

grapewood is no good , i wouldnt trust ghostwood either. go with the manzanita .

only hardwoods

Driftwood

I'm planing to set up a 55g African Biotope, and because of a few species of fish (the main one being upside down catfish) I want to do a heavy amount of driftwood. I found a sight that has tons of different types of wood for much cheaper than any aquarium sights, but I'm not sure if they are aquarium safe. I know it says the sanded manzita is, but not sure about the others. The other kinds I'm looking at are the grapewoods, ghostwoods, and natural driftwood.
the page: Branches - Natural

I'm hoping these are safe, because it would simply be much cheaper to get wood from there than other online stores. Thanks!!!:thanks::thanks:

Hello Fish...

If you fill a large bucket with some of your replacement water and add a tablespoon of standard aquarium salt and soak the piece for a day or two, it will be safe for the tank. Just rinse it afterward. If by some remote chance there would be bacteria living on the piece, the salt would kill it.

B

Hello Fish...

If you fill a large bucket with some of your replacement water and add a tablespoon of standard aquarium salt and soak the piece for a day or two, it will be safe for the tank. Just rinse it afterward. If by some remote chance there would be bacteria living on the piece, the salt would kill it.

B

K, thanks

If you live buy the beach or a river or creek you can get it for free! The crap u buy in stores and online comes from other countries just soak it for a week in a bucket and your good to go gut it has to be real drift wood, meaning old dried out wood

If you live buy the beach or a river or creek you can get it for free! The crap u buy in stores and online comes from other countries just soak it for a week in a bucket and your good to go gut it has to be real drift wood, meaning old dried out wood

I have considered doing so, and I think I will get some wood from lakes near my house (there are plenty) and maybe from trout streams i fish. I also will be collecting rocks from these too for sure.

Back
Top Bottom