Driftwood ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
First my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm not sure how to ID Driftwood so I thought I'd ask here. :)

My cousin had a saltwater tank many years ago and hasn't had one in quite a while, but he had a leftover piece of driftwood he gave me for my tank. I really like the piece, but I'm worried whether it's actual driftwood. When he gave it to me a few weeks ago I soaked it in hot water for about 3-4 days, changing the water out 1-2x a day. The water continued to turn a brownish tea color (dark the first day, lighter as the days went on but it never fully disappeared). Also the wood doesn't want to sink in the bucket I soaked it in. It has a slate bottom with a screw (another concern).

I've read online that some driftwood sold this way (with slate screwed to the bottom) isn't actual driftwood. Also little pieces of wood continually came off the piece each day.

Pics are below if anyone can help. I was also concerned about it leeching salt or other things since it was in a SW tank but I bought a hydrometer and tested the water it was soaking in and it read 0. I'm more concerned whether the wood is a type that's safe to put in the tank. I'm leaning toward not using it (I had since put it away) but before I forget about it entirely I thought I'd ask here. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 80
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 77
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 83
  • wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 81
librarygirl said:
First my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm not sure how to ID Driftwood so I thought I'd ask here. :)

My cousin had a saltwater tank many years ago and hasn't had one in quite a while, but he had a leftover piece of driftwood he gave me for my tank. I really like the piece, but I'm worried whether it's actual driftwood. When he gave it to me a few weeks ago I soaked it in hot water for about 3-4 days, changing the water out 1-2x a day. The water continued to turn a brownish tea color (dark the first day, lighter as the days went on but it never fully disappeared). Also the wood doesn't want to sink in the bucket I soaked it in. It has a slate bottom with a screw (another concern).

I've read online that some driftwood sold this way (with slate screwed to the bottom) isn't actual driftwood. Also little pieces of wood continually came off the piece each day.

Pics are below if anyone can help. I was also concerned about it leeching salt or other things since it was in a SW tank but I bought a hydrometer and tested the water it was soaking in and it read 0. I'm more concerned whether the wood is a type that's safe to put in the tank. I'm leaning toward not using it (I had since put it away) but before I forget about it entirely I thought I'd ask here. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to use it. Just keep soaking it until most/all the tannins have leached out and it has become water logged. If he used it in his tank then took it out and put it in the cupboard (?) then it hasn't come into contact with anything poisonous. I wouldn't worry about the slate and screw. They will help it sink. If you are too worried you can replace the screw with a new stainless steal one. If there are bits coming off they won't do any harm. IMO they will only make your tank a bit messy. Wood is natural, it shouldn't be anything to be afraid of. :) I got some from my local creek, soaked them, put them through the dishwasher, gave them a bit of a scrub with steal wool, screwed on some slate and chucked them straight in my tank. No problems!

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to use it. Just keep soaking it until most/all the tannins have leached out and it has become water logged. If he used it in his tank then took it out and put it in the cupboard (?) then it hasn't come into contact with anything poisonous. I wouldn't worry about the slate and screw. They will help it sink. If you are too worried you can replace the screw with a new stainless steal one. If there are bits coming off they won't do any harm. IMO they will only make your tank a bit messy. Wood is natural, it shouldn't be anything to be afraid of. :) I got some from my local creek, soaked them, put them through the dishwasher, gave them a bit of a scrub with steal wool, screwed on some slate and chucked them straight in my tank. No problems!

Thanks! The holes worry me a bit too though; natural driftwood wouldn't have holes like that in it, lol, so it's probably manufactured. When I soaked the wood it felt a bit mushy when I squeezed it (although I have no idea if that's normal) and it had a bit of a wet wood smell to it. I have a natural piece of DW in my tank now but it doesn't look like this one. I'd hate to put it in there and have my fish die or/and have it rot and foul the water. Maybe I'm being too much of a worry wart. :)

I guess my question is: is this piece actual driftwood or non-aquatic wood sold as driftwood?

Also would the slate piece mess with my PH at all?

Oh what to do....lol

Thanks for the reply (I was fearing I wouldn't get any!).

Last edited:
It will slowly rot in the water. I've used this type of wood a lot in the past and it will slowly rot, but it won't hurt anything. My plecos always seem to like it though, because it is soft. I always had to leave the slate on becuase this kind of wood never really sinks on its own.

Personally I now stick to malaysian driftwood and mopani wood because it sinks on its own and doesn't need slate.

It will slowly rot in the water. I've used this type of wood a lot in the past and it will slowly rot, but it won't hurt anything. My plecos always seem to like it though, because it is soft. I always had to leave the slate on becuase this kind of wood never really sinks on its own.

Personally I now stick to malaysian driftwood and mopani wood because it sinks on its own and doesn't need slate.

Awesome thanks! How slow is slow? Weeks, months, etc? How would I know when it rots? If it's going to be a while I might try it, if not I won't.

That piece will last for years, and while the slate won't make it sink totally, when you cover the slate with substrate it will hold it down. Slate will not affect the pH.

BillD said:
That piece will last for years, and while the slate won't make it sink totally, when you cover the slate with substrate it will hold it down. Slate will not affect the pH.

Agreed, it will last a really long time.

Librarygirl...Just wanted to thank you for all your very helpful posts. I have truely benefitted from them. I too have been searching for an article I read some time ago about driftwood, since I am now the owner of a massive piece of mopani DW that I bought on Amazon. And I finally found the article, which describes in detail how to treat DW. In case it may help you, here's the link:Home
Freshwater
Articles
Driftwood

Hope this is helpful. And thanks again for all your helpful posts.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom