Driftwood in your tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you keep any driftwood in your tank?? I'm contemplating putting some in there, as we do have a pleco, but am unsure if the other fish would really like it since points on it could be sharp and it could just be a general pain in the arse to swim around. The pleco seems fine as it is sucking onto other things, but I've always heard they love driftwood.

Fish usually don't run into things, the pleco would probably love chewing on some soft wood. I'd put it in. I've got driftwood in all of my tanks

I have DW in all our tanks. I love the natural look. Plecos use it to clean their rasping teeth and it also gives them some dietary additive.

My choices for DW are mopani (soak it for a long time unless you don't mind tannins), malaysian, manzanita (make sure it has been sand blasted to remove bark) and grape vine. All of them need soaked but not for as long as the mopani.

Got driftwood in 2 of 3 of my tanks as those 2 have plecos in them. If you have smaller fast swimmers, they won't have problems maneuvering around the driftwood. Bigger skittish fish might slam into it. I would avoid putting an odd shaped driftwood with sharper points if you have bigger fish that get spooked easily. You can always pick out a straight log type driftwood too.

i have driftwood in my 29 gal snail tank, just got done soaking it, i think driftwood makes a great addition to any tank..

Back
Top Bottom