Driftwood Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmartin71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok started filling 90gal my one piece is a floater I tried rock and gravel and it's a major piece in tank. Any suggestions how to keep it down with 3/4 of the tank filled? Not mention I just put all my plants in!!

Please Help!!

jmartin71 said:
Ok started filling 90gal my one piece is a floater I tried rock and gravel and it's a major piece in tank. Any suggestions how to keep it down with 3/4 of the tank filled? Not mention I just put all my plants in!!

Please Help!!

Just try to tight it to rocks...... Maybe?..

Please Help!!

You can tie big rocks or a bag of gravel to it, or just wait for it to get water logged and sink on it's own. So you're putting plants in but it's not cycled and no fish yet, correct? If so I'd suggest you read the link below to help you get cycled.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Mr. Limpet said:
You can tie big rocks or a bag of gravel to it, or just wait for it to get water logged and sink on it's own. So you're putting plants in but it's not cycled and no fish yet, correct? If so I'd suggest you read the link below to help you get cycled.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Yep no fish adding pants and water today. LFS media and media from my other tank ready to go in tonight and a bottle of Ammo ready to start fishless cycle hopefully tomorrow!!

Yep no fish adding pants and water today. LFS media and media from my other tank ready to go in tonight and a bottle of Ammo ready to start fishless cycle hopefully tomorrow!!

+1 for that info (y)

You should have a really fast cycle with seed material and plants. I'd just let that DW float till it's water logged myself, couple days and it should be at the bottom.

Good luck!

Mr. Limpet said:
+1 for that info (y)

You should have a really fast cycle with seed material and plants. I'd just let that DW float till it's water logged myself, couple days and it should be at the bottom.

Good luck!

The only issue is that it will crush plants I am going to bag gravel with a small rock. Yep I learned my lesson on the cycle issue with my 26gal when I listened to the LFS. I have been going to a different store and they have been much the extension of this forum!! So fishless it will be and then we will stock the tank!!

Well the bag did not work can't believe it I hope that if it soaks a few days it will pull it down!!

Well the bag did not work can't believe it I hope that if it soaks a few days it will pull it down!!

What bag? If you have plenty of gravel in the tank or extra, use a mesh bag or stockings (washed in HOT water, no soap) and fill it with as much as you think it'll need (1-2lbs?) and lay it across the top of the DW.

Mr. Limpet said:
What bag? If you have plenty of gravel in the tank or extra, use a mesh bag or stockings (washed in HOT water, no soap) and fill it with as much as you think it'll need (1-2lbs?) and lay it across the top of the DW.

That's what I did I used a bag not staying down so I am hoping during the cycle it will water logged and stay down!!

Do you have a rain-water 'butt' that you can immerse it in, then keep it under with something heavy. There was another similar thread not so long ago with people suggesting to hollow it out and fit weights inside !
It needs to get water-logged, but if you can do this outside of tank, you also avoid anything coming out of the wood and into your tank water. It could take upward of 3 weeks (depends on the size), but it's worth the effort and saves the grief if there is something 'oozing' from the piece.

Back
Top Bottom