driftwood noob need info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

datkidkevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just bought a piece of drift wood. ima noob to drift wood so i know i have to soak it. so i having soking as i type. now how long do i let it soak for? how does cleaning go? any info would be great thanks to all

When we get a new piece of DW we first soak it, then run it through the dishwasher (no soap) then soak it again for a few days, changing out the water daily until the water isn't as full of tannins. Tannins are what turns the water brown like tea.

Is there any type of driftwood more desirable than others? How is corkwood? Thinking about making my terrapin a dock out of it. Sorry one more question. Is bamboo safe? I can find large stalks growing here. Just have to be cautious
because he may munch on it.

If its small enough to boil then i would do as follows:
Scrub all loose debris off
Fill the pot, boil for 20 minutes
Empty pot
Fill the pot, boil for 15 minutes
Empty pot
Fill the pot, boil for 10 minutes
Empty pot
Fill the pot, boil for 5 minutes
Empty pot. Get a bucket with a top and put the wood in the bucket, fill it full of hot hot water and let it soak over night. It will still turn water but running a couple carbon cycles in the tank and weekly water changes and youll be fine in no time.

If you cant boil them then i would scrub/pressure wash the pieces and soak them in a large vessel for atleast one week pref. three.

Back
Top Bottom