Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Driftwood or Rocks

What is the best setup in a 20 gallon tank with sand and planning to have the take obtain live plants (if it matters). Is driftwood better, or rocks? Please keep in mind I am a general beginner. Thanks for the help! kindof a short question but many responses is appreciated.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner on the loose View Post
What is the best setup in a 20 gallon tank with sand and planning to have the take obtain live plants (if it matters). Is driftwood better, or rocks? Please keep in mind I am a general beginner. Thanks for the help! kindof a short question but many responses is appreciated.
Driftwood definitely for a planted tank. You can attach plants to it and rocks would just take up space that could have plants.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I totally forgot about attaching the live plants, would it be weird to have a peice of driftwood and a rock in the backround?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I totally forgot about attaching the live plants, would it be weird to have a peice of driftwood and a rock in the backround?
No I think it would look cool.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I always use DW and rocks together even in small tanks as I think it give the tank a natural look.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree. Driftwood would be the better of the two if you want to pick just one. Easier for plants to sink their roots into and some fish like wood to nibble on.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not trying to hijack this thread. I thought maybe I could ask a question to add to or complement the thread.

Where is the best place to get driftwood and best way to attach plants to it? Plus is the fake decorative driftwood at petsmart and other places ok or will the plants not attach them them over time like real driftwood?

Additionally, is driftwood buoyant? If so how is that remedied?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piao liang yu View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread. I thought maybe I could ask a question to add to or complement the thread.

Where is the best place to get driftwood and best way to attach plants to it? Plus is the fake decorative driftwood at petsmart and other places ok or will the plants not attach them them over time like real driftwood?

Additionally, is driftwood buoyant? If so how is that remedied?
Here are a few answers to some of your questions. I Use fishing line to attach plants, some use super glue. Some driftwood is buoyant. Either weigh it down with rocks, submerge it in a large container of water till it sinks on it's own, no set time on this, or get a piece of slate and stainless steel screws and screw in down. Then you can cover the slate with sand or gravel.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I think it'd be fine. Rivers are full of both rocks and wood. In any case the most important thing is you like it.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Also boiling DW is a good idea to help reduce tannin leaching in the water as many DW pieces do. And I use 100% cotton black thread to tie plants/moss on as over time the thread being cotton will dissolve and the plant will have long attached itself. Fake decorations do not generally work well for attaching plants to unless you glue them but IMO real DW is the best and gives the tank a natural appearance.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Check out Rivercats planted tank. Her 220 is amazing and could give you some good ideas on how you want to do yours.

Tags
drift, driftwood, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com