Driftwood, pH, and Betta harassment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, all three topics are related as they are all in regards to my tank!

1) I've got driftwood in my tank to perposfully provided tannins, lower the pH, etc. However, will the pH eventually find a happy medium, or will I have problems with my pH bottoming out? It was at about 7.5-7.6 now quite a few days into the addition of a second piece of driftwood it's down to 7.2ish.

2) If my Betta's exercise routine includes the periodic minnow chase, that's okay, right, as long as it's not constant harassment?

1. Depends on the size of the driftwood to the relation to the size of the tank.

2. Occasional chase is fine, regular chase is stressful to the minnow.

1) I can rummage a pic I suppose.

2) when they wander too close to him or his food he'll give a chase or three. I think it will be better once my plants get established. He tends to give a chase or three then loose interest until they draw attention to themselves again.

here. the big piece on the left was boiled for 3 odd minutes, the piece on the right was rinsed and dropped in.

Attachments

• tank723-1.jpg
    tank723-1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 73
The ph should settle out. I have a large piece of driftwood in a smaller tank and do 50% water change a week and the ph is stable. Just keep an eye on it. Have you tested your GH and KH?

I think if your betta is only chasing when they get close the plant growth will help.

The amount of tannins coming from driftwood is small, just enough to colour your water. It shouldn't have a major effect on your pH. My tank is 7.4 with a KH that is non existent. After a week it is 7.4. Other biological activities probably lead to your pH drops.

Back
Top Bottom