Driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a piece of driftwood 4 days ago and it's starting to get a fuzzy film. The driftwood was already in an established freshwater tank for a while. Could it be algae? I want to get some sort of moss to grow on it eventually. I'll try to get a photo of the fuzz.

My driftwood developed a fuzzy film as well. It's nothing to worry about.

It looks like the beginnings of black beard algae. Unless you have really strong lighting or fluctuated co2 levels i doubt thats what it is though. Most likely a fungus or maybe bacterial?

My lighting is faily low and only a small and a medium water wisteria. I'm thinking I should take it out now! The fish all seem to be doing just fine.

Mine has this too - what is it?

image-1750567828.jpg

staticmap

Attachments

• image-3538406576.jpg
    image-3538406576.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 80
Not sure why it happens but it eventually goes away on its own. I know its quite annoying, you can leave it be or scrub it off but it possess no threat to the fish. The bad thing is it won't go away till its ready too for some reason or another it just grows back ;)

Not sure why it happens but it eventually goes away on its own. I know its quite annoying, you can leave it be or scrub it off but it possess no threat to the fish. The bad thing is it won't go away till its ready too for some reason or another it just grows back ;)
Thank you, Andrew. I scrubbed it off once but it came right back. I'll just leave it be and let it run it's course since there's no threat to the fish. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom