Driftwood question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been boiling my wood for about a month and it hasn't stopped leaching tannins. If I put it in my tank and it turn my water yellowish, is there anything I can do to make it turn clear/normal clarity again??

What kind of wood is it do you know? I boiled my Manzanita (that I since donated to my friends tank) for about an hour. When I poured the water out it was clearly stained to creation from the tannins but after having it in my tank for about a month and a half and now in my friends tank for a couple weeks it hasnt stained the water much at all. I don't know why after a month yours is still leaching. Water changes would eventually clear it up I've read, once leaching is complete.

I've had luck with boiling for 15-20 min, changing water and boiling again. The water will get less and less yellow. After it was fairly clear I soaked in a bucket for a few day. Also changing water every 12hrs ish (not an exact science) until the water in the bucket stayed clear. Then into the tank it went. I've heard carbon works but it reduced my tannis and not as yellowish but never completely clear. It goes away in the tank after a week or two and doesn't hurt your fish or plants.

Some woods can actually leach tannins for years. I had a piece like that. If you want to use it just use Carbon or Purgen as already mentioned to keep the water color clear.

What kind of wood is it do you know? I boiled my Manzanita (that I since donated to my friends tank) for about an hour. When I poured the water out it was clearly stained to creation from the tannins but after having it in my tank for about a month and a half and now in my friends tank for a couple weeks it hasnt stained the water much at all. I don't know why after a month yours is still leaching. Water changes would eventually clear it up I've read, once leaching is complete.

I did, but I have forgotten the name! :p once I find out ill post it on here for more info! Thank you! I might try this method!

I've had luck with boiling for 15-20 min, changing water and boiling again. The water will get less and less yellow. After it was fairly clear I soaked in a bucket for a few day. Also changing water every 12hrs ish (not an exact science) until the water in the bucket stayed clear. Then into the tank it went. I've heard carbon works but it reduced my tannis and not as yellowish but never completely clear. It goes away in the tank after a week or two and doesn't hurt your fish or plants.

Oh ok, that was another question on my mind and you just answered it for me!! Thank you!!

Some woods can actually leach tannins for years. I had a piece like that. If you want to use it just use Carbon or Purgen as already mentioned to keep the water color clear.

Yeah, I might purchase some purgen!

Back
Top Bottom