Driftwood questions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machoburrito

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found some pieces of driftwood from the water(saltwater) not lake water and I was wondering what's the best way to cure it??? They aren't that big either. Thank you everyone!!!!!

I would pour boiling water on the wood to cover it (if you can). Leave submerged for a day or two, then dispose of water, get more water (from your pwc) to cover wood and give that a couple of days.
You're going to need a SW measure and check salinity of water. Keep on with the same process until salinity is next to nothing. This is how I see it, based on similar tank additions where I need to be sure there's nothing in/on the item going into tank. I did this with some old rope and it was okay.

Ok sounds good so that goes the same for if I buy it at a pet store right because I got a piece and boiled it for 15 mins then did it again the next day now I have it soaking in a bucket for like 3 days you think that would be enough to be good to put in the tank???

Always a good idea to 'kill off' any possibility of infection. You can never be sure where the stuff's come from. I normally just soak for a while in the out-going 'pwc's and check ph against normal tap (or tank if buffered). Once I have consistent matching readings, I consider safe to place into tank. Not sure, but it's probably not such an issue if the ornamental is non-bio (i.e. resin). Same with new plant (but not the boiling water !) so anything on it has a chance to show itself.

Ok so what up rocks just clean them up real good and they are good for the tank?

I have heard (and seen) the affects of introducing something you didn't want into a healthy tank. It might be over-cautious, but I always put anything I get into a 'holding' tank (not unlike QT) for a few days before it's moved into the main tank. Anyone else with any thoughts ??

Boiling 15-30 min should kill all infections. I wouldn't be too concerned with wood/rocks other than jeep an eye on the wood, if it starts rotting it may have to come out.

Back
Top Bottom