Driftwood questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okapizebra

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been soaking these dead oak tree branches I found outside. They've been in this big plastic tub filled with water for a few weeks now. I finally was grossed out with the water looking so dirty and green (with mosquito larvae in it! ew) and dumped it and put in fresh water. Turns out all the branches are sinking now and seem completely water logged.

What do I do now? I did nothing prior to them and just stuck them in a tub of water. Do I need to scrape bark off? Obviously I will boil them completely before they go near my tanks being in that nasty water. Is there anything else to it?

:thanks:

When I get DW from outside I take off all the bark, clean it real good with the hose and a wire brush, boil it thoroughly a couple times, let it cool (important, hot wood = dead fish) then put in fish tank. I get all my DW from my backyard and have had no problems using this method.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for all the advice!

Would letting it sun dry help also? Or would this defeat the purpose of all the water-soaking?

Well, it wouldn't be water logged anymore and you have a piece of DW that keeps trying to float to the top. So I'd leave it water logged if you can throughout the whole process.

All righty, thanks. So, just scrape bark off, boil, and it's aquarium safe? Even though it's been in some nasty water outside?

You can also add a little bleach to the water, No perfumes or dyes. Plain bleach.

All righty. Does anyone have suggestions with scraping the bark off? A knife? Seems dangerous.

I used my pocketknife but if it's been soaking you may just be able to use your fingers. A wire brush is good for getting all the little pieces off.

That is if I'm willing to touch that gross wood :facepalm:

Thanks for the advice! It was pretty soft when I last touched it so I don't think it'll be much of a challenge. My biggest challenge is now finding the time to do this! Seems the easiest part was finding the wood and sticking it in a bucket :p

Thanks all! I'll post pics if I can get this done soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom