Driftwood questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugginns

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I picked up a Bristlenose Pleco, and I want to get some driftwood for him to nibble on, as well as to be a centerpiece to my tank. Do they sell 'real' driftwood that he can chew on at the big-box pet stores? I looked online on ebay etc. but I'm not really sure. I don't have any super large pots to hold big pieces of driftwood (I want one that will fit my 36" 18" 18" tank.) Any advice?

Edit: I don't have a problem soaking it in for 2 weeks.

Most petstores will carry a few pieces, but in general I've found they don't carry a large selection of real wood. You can order the stuff online, but at most places I've found they don't give you a pic of the actual piece you're ordering, just an example. To me, with wood, I want to know what it looks like.

I recommend you keep watching ebay, as you can see what you're actually bidding on. I've gotten several pieces from there.

As far as a pot, my wife found a 21qt stock pot at walmart for $19 that's about 13 or 14 inches wide and is accomodating a very large piece of wood that I'm currently boiling. it's not very tall, so I'll have to boil the bottom, then put it in upside and boil the top, but it really hurries the process along compared to just soaking.

Another option is to get a tub to soak it in, then repeatedly boil water and put over it, so instead of just changing the water every day, you change the water with boiling water. not as effective as boiling directly, but it still works a little quicker than just using warm/hot water.

If you get a large piece, and don't boil, the larger the piece the longer it'll take to soak out the tannins. Don't plan on 2 weeks, cuz it may be much longer than that.

You're other option is to do what you need to do to kill any possible living organisms on it, like a peroxide dip, then put it in your tank. It will stain your water, giving it a brown or yellowish tint, which isn't bad for your fish if you don't mind the water not being clear.

Just my $0.02

You should be able to find small pieces at your lfs. I found several nice chunks. Try smaller locations, not places like PetsMart, Petco, Wal-Mart, etc.

go to your local river/ creek, its free and alot more exotic loooking, for the really big pieces, I put them in a large rubber maid tub an ddumped tons of boilinfg water on them to kill off any parasites and to help them leach the tannins. then I soaked them for a couple weeks and put them in the tank, I like having some small chips of thick bark still on the wood too when I add it in, gives it character, I never seen anyone else do it, it doesn't seem to hurt anything, but looks really cool

I like Aquabid for driftwood. www.exoticfinds.net shows each piece (though I've never bought from them).

It's so much nicer to buy wood that will sink without soaking-it can take months to get it waterlogged-auctions will tell you whether an individual piece will sink right away.

One thing to mention though if you go with a quick soak is that the leeching of tannins into the water also lowers the pH. To what degree depends on the waters buffering capacity and amount that leeches out. This probably isn't a big problem, but if you have really soft water it might be a good idea to boil it a bit to lessen the chance of a pH crash.

My pH is 7.4. I actually went to petsmart yesterday, did some looking. I picked up one piece of 'grapewood' for 6.99. Pretty thick and nice looking. I did a quick search on here and there seems to be pretty varying opinions on grapewood, so I'm just gonna let it soak and see if I can pick up a piece of sinking driftwood on the net somewhere. The issue is the shipping costs are so large.

I also picked up some aquarium background for 1$ a foot, and tons of plastic / silk plants. (have to go plastic - silver dollars will This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.
any plants I put in there.)

Edit: I actually think I'm gonna return the grapewood and pick up some on aquabid.

So I purchased a piece of driftwood on aquabid.com and also picked up some at the LFS. They had some really nice pieces, I'll have to get a photo. Boiled them for about 3 hours last night. Gonna boil some more tonight. Returned the grapewood to the petsmart :p

I like Malaysian driftwood myself. I have about 30-45lbs of it in my 75 gallon..and yes My tank looks like a giant teapot. Permanently brown water, been that way for near a year :) I like it, it is slowly going away, but with all the tannins in the water, I never have sick fish.

Malaysian sinking driftwood is very good, if not the best. It is a very hard wood. I have a piece boiled for 1 hour before put in the tank. I don't see noticeable tannins in the water.

my piece was so big i had to boil it in my deep fryer outside and still wanted to float after 4 mouths so i siliconed it down to the tank when i did my reseal job on my tank but driftwood is a real highlight to the tank love how it looks

If it is a float one, it is NOT a malaysian sinking driftwood. The wood should sink by itself. Many hardwood from south asia are sinking wood and they have been used in China to make excellent expensive furnitures for a thousand years.

Back
Top Bottom