Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Driftwood releasing tannins?

Does anyone know how long I can expect my driftwood to release tannins? Other than my ph being lower, my water turns really yellow and I can't even see the other side of the tank when I look in through the side. When it gets that bad, I can tell my plants aren't getting enough light. It's quite annoying, and I'm going to be doing two PWC a week just to keep it somewhat clear for my plants.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

It depends on the wood. It could last months or it could last years. My DW has been goin for 6 months so far. How much water do you change? I do about 50% a week, keeps my water tea colored. Are your lights strong enough for the plants? When I have my lights on, I can't tell the water is brown, but when they're off it's really murky.

--Adeeb

Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really depends on how much you soaked/boiled/washed/cured it before putting it in. It also depends on the type of wood. I had three small pieces of maylaysian that i boiled and soaked for a very long time and they never released any tannins, but i have a large one that i only soaked for a short period of time and it still leaches after being in the tank for four months. IF it really bothers you then conduct your water changes and some even start using carbon to help with the tannin clearing. good luck
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought one of the pieces from petsmart that was already submerged in water and had a java fern attached so there was no boiling. I didn't want to lose the plant. Another piece came from my LFS and was submerged already so I didn't bother boiling it. The biggest piece I have came from the same LFS but wasn't submerged. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is. I attached a java fern to it after it was in my tank a couple days. I think that's the main one that's causing most of the problems. I wouldn't mind detaching the java fern to boil, but I don't have a pot big enough to boil it in. Any ideas what else I can do?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

bathtub, scalding hot water 2-3 tub fulls will get alot of em out, but they dont hurt anything really just aesthetics but the benefits of tannin rich water are invaluable.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well it doesn't bother me that much, but the plants don't seem like they're getting enough light. Those are my main concern
Old 11-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the look doesnt bother you then i wouldnt worry about it
Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to worry about it. My plants are starting to wilt a little. They're not getting enough light...Do you think three water changes a week is too much?
Old 11-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I bought a piece of mopani wood 4 months ago. It's a medium sized piece about 14" long and 8" wide. I boiled it for 6+ hours. Had it in the bucket with water for another week after boiling. It's currently still releasing tannins 4 months later. And probably will continue to do so for another 4 months.

Tags
drift, driftwood, tan, tannins

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com