driftwood tannin toxic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vicdad999999

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive always used driftwood in my tanks. most of it is what I get off my property. I scrub them then dry for a year before using. Some are rather large which is why I wait so long. If I drill a hole in the thickest part and its still somewhat moist I continue to let them sit for a few more months till drilled comes out dry. I know they change the ph, but, I have a 150 with about 9 pieces in it already. I do water changes every other day (roughly 1/4 sometimes more), my ph out of tap is roughly 8.6 hardness around 21. The ph has never moved on the tanks with the driftwood already in it and if hardness changes its not more than 2 points. but ive been considering adding about 15 more pieces, some large some small.(just to see what it would like) large being about 3 or 4 feet length about 8 inches thick in some spots, to long branches. If I dump all these in at once, im not worried about a ph swing, but I am worried about too much tannin if there is such a thing? I like the tannin look but was wondering if too much tannins are toxic as ive never added so much at one time. Anyone know? Thanks

Nope it's not toxic. However driftwood can impact pH levels. Not always but there are cases. I have a lot of driftwood in my 75 gallon with no issues.

Many thanks for the quick reply. Will move forward to doing it today, I suspect most to be floating for awhile. Thanks again as I was unsure and thats whats been holding me back.

Back
Top Bottom