Driftwood tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramblin Wreck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I soaked my drift wood for over a week and it has been in the tank a week and, big surprise, the tank is brown from the tannins. The pieces are not large, biggest is maybe a foot long by 4"x1.5". Any idea how long I can expect this to happen? Am I better off pulling it from the tank and soaking?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I soaked my drift wood for over a week and it has been in the tank a week and, big surprise, the tank is brown from the tannins. The pieces are not large, biggest is maybe a foot long by 4"x1.5". Any idea how long I can expect this to happen? Am I better off pulling it from the tank and soaking?

Driftwood will leach tannins no matter what really. I put two large Mopani wood pieces in my 60 gallon and it's brownish. Large weekly water changes will help a ton also carbon and maybe filter floss will help keep it clear.

What kind of driftwood is it?

If you don't boil the tannins out malaysian driftwood usually leaches for about a year in my tanks.

Mopani driftwood almost never stops leaching in my tanks.

Keep in mind that my tanks with driftwood are typically very soft and acidic so that may effect my results. Others have reported shorter times.

Thanks! They were gifts from a neighbor, they said they go them at petsmart. I looked there but they didn't have any, So no clue. I love that the keep the water soft for my discus and do 50% weekly changes. Just not a fan of the 6 days in between lolImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408470249.042013.jpg

Petsmart sells mopani

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well that means I need to find some new stuff I guess. Thanks!!

You can also add some agents to your filter that will help to pull tannins out of the water. Carbon was already mentioned, purigen is another agent that will also help.

Ok. I will give those a shot first. Thanks!

My mopani stoped after a couple months. Its barley noticeable after a week

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fingers crossed. I will give it a little longer to see what happens.

I keep hearing about this..... I rinsed my Malaysian off for 30 seconds and threw it in my tank and had O issues lol, PH is still high tho so maybe I got some dry driftwood? lol

About Petsmart I have a "Topfin" stand for my 150g Marineland. tank, never new they ever sold stuff that big lol.

I boiled some Malaysian DW for a few hours and it was still leaching tannins for a few months. Was not a problem for me because it was a low light, low tech shrimp tank.

Back
Top Bottom