Driftwood, what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got myself a medium sized piece of driftwood, I'm soaking it in hot water, I'd rather not boil it, what else should I do with it and how long should I let it soak for? I know some people like the color it adds. Also I'm gonna be getting some java moss and amazon frogbit so I'm hoping once I go to live plants my tank will POP. Is gravel or sand better for live plants?

Put it in a Ice chest and pour boiling water over it until covered by water, let soak 1 day, drain and fill with room temp water it will be good by next day

Hi some people will soak it for months in water others will suggest putting it in the dishwasher (no soap of course) most people will suggest boiling it which is the best way to leech out the tannins which is that browny color but it also leeches out other things i didnt soak my driftwood for long enough and it caused my ph to crash so its out and back to soaking again in a big tub. Sand is better And you can get it cheaply from pool shops, if you had to get a gravel substrate the smaller the substrate and deeper the better im pretty new to all of this but from all the advice people have given me on this forum its usually spot on

I've also wondered this I usually buy driftwood that's already in tanks but their kinda small I wanna use the large pieces meant for reptiles is it the same boiling procedure?

I think you just need to find out if its suitable for the aquarium because some woods leech oils which can kill your fish if you can find out what type of wood it is that wood be a good start theirs plenty of people here who can tell you if its bad or good

You can find mopani driftwood in the reptile section of petsmart and petco. It is aquarium safe but leeches tannins something fierce. Be prepared to boil for days or soak for weeks if you get mopani. It's really gorgeous wood though.

Ya this one is aquarium safe but I'm soaking it in hot water. It looks nice and dark when wet.

Your ready to put it in the tank ad far as I see. The hot water helped the brown leach out of the wood. Some times it takes for ever so just put it in and do water changes as needed. :D
Do you have pics of the tank and wood?

As far as the gravel or sand, I have live plants in my tank and the roots didn't grow well in just gravel so I mixed aquarium sand in with my gravel and they have really taken off, not sure what others suggest but it worked in my tank

Jill said:
You can find mopani driftwood in the reptile section of petsmart and petco. It is aquarium safe but leeches tannins something fierce. Be prepared to boil for days or soak for weeks if you get mopani. It's really gorgeous wood though.

Oh ok awesome

I just emptied the bucket and it's almost clear so I'll do a few more, rearrange my tank around and then take pics heh

Okay so the driftwood is now in the tank. I'm gonna try and take some pictures tomorrow of the tank. I've moved a bunch if stuff around. My snails love it and I think it looks cool. I wish I had a really gnarled piece but one can dream lol. On a side note the two platy fry I have are growing and i believe they are twin bars but as of now no color and really tiny.

Chronos313 said:
So I got myself a medium sized piece of driftwood, I'm soaking it in hot water, I'd rather not boil it, what else should I do with it and how long should I let it soak for? I know some people like the color it adds. Also I'm gonna be getting some java moss and amazon frogbit so I'm hoping once I go to live plants my tank will POP. Is gravel or sand better for live plants?

I soaked mine in hot water from the sink fir one day kept the water hot and it never ran colors in my tank. However, I do think some snails came in on it so a boil might not be bad.

Back
Top Bottom