Driftwood, when to place in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this great piece of driftwood today off of ebay. I have been so excited about it for my mini clown pleco. I have a few questions...

How long do you soak the driftwood before placing in the tank. I have been soaking it all day, no residue or darkening of water has occured. It did float when placing in the water, but now it is staying down after removing the plate I had on top of it to keep it under water...any suggestions or helpful hints before I place in for my pleco...

I appreciate all the great support you all have shown me in my new endevour!!!

Attachments

• untitled-3_108.jpg
    untitled-3_108.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 218
If it is sinking you can put it in whenever you wish. I would boil it, if it was not specificly sold for aquarium use, just to be on the safe side.

I agree with Rich. Boil it just to be safe. If you do not have a pot large enough to boil it in, use the largest pot you have and fill it with water. Bring the water to a boil and pour over the wood several times. It will kill anything that is living on the wood.

I got this great piece of driftwood today off of ebay. I have been so excited about it for my mini clown pleco

You can add that one to the "you know you are a fish geek" when you get excited over driftwood. LOL

I know how you feel because I share the excitement over those neat got-to-have things for the aquarium.

BTW....thats a nice piece of wood!

Rondory said:
I got this great piece of driftwood today off of ebay. I have been so excited about it for my mini clown pleco

You can add that one to the "you know you are a fish geek" when you get excited over driftwood. LOL

Man I was hoping no one would pick up on that fact...at least not yet! Here I have only been doing this since December, and I already find myself getting excited about feeding the fish and frog...I can't wait to be able to see my pleco more...he is so nocturnal...I think he will come out more with the driftwood in place. At this point he hides out in one of the caves!

So I will boil tomorrow and place in later tomorrow...can't wait to get pics to you all later! Maybe we'll get a sneak peak of "Stripes" yet! :D

I havea nice piece I remebered I had, Found it today and boiled it for 20 minutes on high on the stove, tons and tons of tannins kept coming out, the water was as dirty as a mud puddel, now its in a bucket soaking waiting to get water logged

I don't bother boiling driftwood....smells like ****, and I don't mind the black water look the tannins give to my water, it fades over time with pwc. Also, the piece you got there will not colour you water as much as other, darker pieces of wood.
It's just a matter of personal preference whether you boil or not! :)

sure wish you would have told me that sooner about the *%!# smell! Started boiling today and yikes, it's nasty smelling...I have had a lot of junk come off the driftwood though, sticky and gross smelling. I have boiled twice, I'll prob. do a third for charm then in she'll go. I don't think it will turn the water either as bad. I had it soaking all night and didn't turn that water color but just a wee bit...

thanks

Yes, always boil it since you don't know where it came from. There could be bugs, glue, or some other substance on the wood that will contaminate the tank.

Man I was hoping no one would pick up on that fact...at least not yet!

Yeah, I'm a quick one alright. ;) Happy to hear that you are enjoying your new hobby so much. I know that I am.

Just think of it like a very earthy tea. Put a little lemon juice in or something. Maybe a few leaves of mint. lol :D

Then fill you up a cup. YUM! j/k

Fishyfanatic said:
Yes, always boil it since you don't know where it came from. There could be bugs, glue, or some other substance on the wood that will contaminate the tank.

I agree, but I don't, since I know it comes from a reputable lfs and most pieces of driftwood have been at their store for several months....any bugs or critters are already dead after a while. That's my assumption anyways :lol:

I did once use a piece of driftwood that lied in our garden for almost 2 years. Luckily I caught the critter that was in there while tank was cycling. There was a 3 inch bloodsucker inside the driftwood 8O

yikes! Nasty little verman...I boiled 3 times and let soak in hot water all day yesterday and placed her in last night. My pleco almost jumped for joy, practically ran over to it and hasn't been off since I put it in... Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom