Driftwood . Where to buy it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erod714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering people buy the rooted driftwood I've seen.. Do they buy them or do they pick them up from outside.. The only one I see are big trunk like. It's hard to find the rooted or branched ones.. Does any one know where to get them?

Manzanita driftwood

Has any bought any wood from manzanita-driftwood.com.. Plz comment ..

If you have any woods go for a walk and see if there are any downed trees. You can just lop off a section of root to use. Best part is its free! :)

If you have any woods go for a walk and see if there are any downed trees. You can just lop off a section of root to use. Best part is its free! :)

Hmmmm... There happens to be such a tree within 100' of the house. Roots pulled up from dropping in a wind storm years ago. It should be plenty aged by now but I don't know what kind it was other than huge. The bark is gone. Probably oak by the size and location. I know oak leaves are OK and oak wood is used for wine casks so I presume it's all nontoxic. And then there is the pretty, pretty crepe myrtle wood which bears a striking resemblance to manzanita and it needs a good pruning but then the pieces would need to sit and age, I guess. I can just imagine my husband's face when I told him not to burn the brush pile I made because I'm going to sell it on eBay...

Keep in mind wood you collect will not sink until you get it waterlogged. I did this by keeping in a bucket with rocks for over a month. It still needed a rock or 2 once I placed in the tank. Then a lot of wood will darken the water for a year or 2 so you have to keep doing lot's of water changes. So there is a price for 'free'. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind wood you collect will not sink until you get it waterlogged. I did this by keeping in a bucket with rocks for over a month. It still needed a rock or 2 once I placed in the tank. Then a lot of wood will darken the water for a year or 2 so you have to keep doing lot's of water changes. So there is a price for 'free'. :rolleyes:

There always is isn't there? :)

There's a few things you can do. My last piece I just glued to a rock or you could drill through a piece of rock or slate and secure the driftwood with a rod.

Driftwood

How wood u know if it's safe use after its been submerge? I found manzanita wood but I'm afraid to put in my tank ? How safe is it put wild manzanita wood in ur tank ?

Driftwood

How wood u know if it's safe use after its been submerge? I found manzanita wood but I'm afraid to put in my tank ? How safe is it put wild manzanita wood in ur tank ?

Well, it really depends on where you harvest. If it's near a farm field, no way I'd put it in the tank. The risk of contamination from pesticide drift is too great. But that tree I was looking at has never been hit with anything worse than dog urine. :lol: A bit of boiling water and a long soak ought to do it.

So u guys think if I boil the wood for a long time and thn soak it, it be good enough to kill any pesticides and toxins ? Has any one soaked manzanita wood from the wild and put it inside their tank? How did it go?

As long as it is long dead and dry wash it off and scrub it as best you can and you should be good

Back
Top Bottom