Driftwood white fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, has anyone dealt with a white cloud sort of fungus on their driftwood? Is it harmless? I've read that it'll eventually go away on its own. Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

I'm wagering it's a relatively new piece of Mopani DW? If so, yes it's common and does go away on it's own. In my case, my RTS had a field day with it. I've never seen it on any Malaysian DW I've ever put in my tanks.

I had that problem on my mopani, its been in the tank for about 3 weeks, its gone on all but one piece which has it real bad on the backside, this piece gets the least amount of light, so maybe thats some kind of factor? I had some tiny hitchhiker snails which seemed to eat it on the other pieces but they don't seem able to climb onto this one. My cories look like they nibble on it, but I can't tell if they are eating the fungus or if they are getting food that might have got stuck to it.

Every log of driftwood I have put in my tanks has grown the white fungus your talking about. Not a big deal, goes away on its own.

Mine lasted a few weeks but went away as well. Also my albino BN loves to munch on the driftwood

It's completely normal for a new piece of wood to grow that white fungus. You can usually just let it run it's course as long as it doesnt get too much out of control.

Back
Top Bottom