Driftwood won't sink!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a beautiful piece of Malaysian driftwood. I put it in the tank and it won't sink. I have 5 other pieces and they all sank. I don't want to boil the wood because I want the tannins released. Plus it's way too big to put in a bucket. It's for a blackwater aquarium. Please help me sink this piece of wood!

Malaysian and mopani driftwood are very dense and heavy if your wood doesn't sink it's something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Malaysian and mopani driftwood are very dense and heavy if your wood doesn't sink it's something else.

It's very dense and heavy, but I can't even push the thing down because it's got such high buoyancy. The other 5 pieces sink fine. It's floating all over my tank. And it's by far the largest piece in my aquarium. The LFS said it was Malaysian driftwood. Any advice to sink it?

Just find something big enough to soak it in for a couple days, or leave it in the tank to soak.

Unless you can try putting some rocks on it I would suggest soaking it for a few days some way.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could also attach some rocks underneath it to anchor it down. You can hide the rocks under the substrate this way.

You could also attach some rocks underneath it to anchor it down. You can hide the rocks under the substrate this way.

+1 Slate is a good choice for this. Drill a hole in it and drive a stainless steel screw the slate and into the driftwood.

Sometimes it takes a few months to sink sometimes it takes a few hours to sink

Back
Top Bottom