Drip Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can some body explain me how do you guys do the Drip Acclimation method?

I tried when I transferred my fish from my old tank to the new set up.... and was a nightmare to keep the bags floating in the new tank, because once you opened to add a little of water , they dont float right, and I spent a lot of time fighting the bags !!! :confused:

I tried when I transferred my fish from my old tank to the new set up.... and was a nightmare to keep the bags floating in the new tank, because once you opened to add a little of water , they dont float right, and I spent a lot of time fighting the bags !!! :confused:

I take the bag and put more of my water in it every 5 min. IMO the bag doesn't need to float once u put your water in it. Just let the bag sit on the substrate and tie/rubber-band the bag back.

ejaramillo01 said:

There's a couple good videos on YouTube that walk you through it. I'm on my iPad and can't link it, but it'd be easy to find there. Most people relocate the fish to a bucket or pitcher instead of leaving them in the bag.

Thanks. I've seen a couple good ones. I've got to run out and buy one of those drip valves so I can do it myself next time I add fish. I know it's usually only necessary for saltwater fish, but there's no such thing as being too cautious.

That's very true!

Your :welcome:

I prefer the actual drip system using tank water at a rate of 1-2g per/for an hour from an elevated reservoir (ie gallon jug) thru an airline hose into a tub holding the new fish. Then I float the tub in the tank for 20 mins and sink it for stress free introduction to the fishes new home.

Here's a couple links with pics of drip acclimation that I've done.

20 Gallon Build: Moor Babies Movin' On Up! - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aclimating Moors from hospital tank (QT), back to DT - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

I dont use a special valve. I use a piece of clear tubing, and I use like a paper clamp (clamp not clip) to then slow the rate of water down on the side of my tank water jug.

:)

Tasha said:
I dont use a special valve. I use a piece of clear tubing, and I use like a paper clamp (clamp not clip) to then slow the rate of water down on the side of my tank water jug.

:)

Thats a great idea! I'm getting some Amano shrimp delivered tomorrow (thanks to severum mama) and I'll try doing that.

Back
Top Bottom