Drip Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats the proper set up for drip acclimation? Other than a hose ran into the fish bag from the tank how do you get it to only drop and not flow? Ive heard its the best method for introducing new fish.

I use a ball valve to control the flow, but failing that you can tie the tubing into a knot to restrict the flow. Just tighten it until you get the drip rate that you want.

Easiest way I know is to get a one way valve. ( I get the plastic valve kits at the box stores or a single valve at my Mom & pop shop.) You can adjust the flow very easily with that.
You are also better off dripping into a bucket than into the bag. More surface area in a bucket which means more area for gas exchange. I would also use an airstone in a bucket but not in a bag. Very easy to have too much gas in a bag.

Hope this helps (y)

I have to tie 4 knots into airline tubing to get 1-2drops per second. Adjust the knots for more or less flow and you are golden

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So a bucket with an air stone and some tubing at about 1-2 drops per second and im set. Ill give it a try with my next fish. How long should the process take? Thanks for the help and the link!

It all depends on how much water you start with. In the end, you want to have about 95% or more new water and 5% +/- water the fish came in. Also, the closer to your tank's parameters the fish water is, the quicker you can acclimate them.
Also, you don;t need to blast the air in the bucket. Depending on how many fish you are acclimating at one time, a small stream of bubbles should be enough. If you notice the fish breathing heavily after 5 minutes or so, then up the air amount.

Hope this helps (y)

It all depends on how much water you start with. In the end, you want to have about 95% or more new water and 5% +/- water the fish came in. Also, the closer to your tank's parameters the fish water is, the quicker you can acclimate them.
Also, you don;t need to blast the air in the bucket. Depending on how many fish you are acclimating at one time, a small stream of bubbles should be enough. If you notice the fish breathing heavily after 5 minutes or so, then up the air amount.

Hope this helps (y)
Thanks! helps alot!

I drip acclimate for about an hour.
If you want an easy to use setup for drip acclimating, I use this device - http://tinyurl.com/kwchhx4

Works just like an I.V. drip, easy to setup, no mess, 1 piece.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

i want to do a diy any one now how to

Airline tubing plus some knots and get a syphon started.

I use a Tupperware container to hole the fish in while I am acclimating them.

Just cut the bag below the knot once it is in the container.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had some extea medical supplies left over from nursing school and i realized that the best way is to use some iv tubing. Should be able to be bought fairly cheaply at medical supply stores. It can definitely be bought online.

It has a roller clamp that will control the exact drip rate you're looking for. It works a heck of a lot better than tying knots in airline tubing.

Back
Top Bottom