Drip acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've seen several people on here discussing this, and while we have no plans to buy ant fish at this point, I am curious about how to do this for future purchases. Any help is greatly appreciated,

Bear

Thanks for the article fishyfinatic, that helped a bunch.

ezy33, would there be any negatives to acclimating a fw fish in this manner? I would think that a less amount of time would be required, but I dont see any harm. I only ask, because this is all new to me, and want to make sure the fish get the best care possible...

np Papa. It is a very detailed article compared to others that I have seen that say "tie a knot in air tubing and drip from tank." :)

No, there are no negatives to acclimating fw fish using the drip method. Some actually think it is better than the other method of floating and adding cups of water. It's a more gradual method of acclimation. If you are going to be adding fish that have quite a bit of a different water chemistry (ie going from 6.5 pH to 8.0 pH) it is preferred.

You are trying to acclimate your fish to it's new environment by slowly changing it's current one. Change = stress = susceptive to disease ans sickness.

That being the case, what can it hurt to change slowly?

Agreed, but as stated, you don't need to go as slow as you would for SW fish. I typically drip for about 45 minutes.

Also, an airline tubing adjustment valve works a lot easier than trying to tighten and loosen knots in the line to set the drip rate you want.

Would an I.V. drip line work better than air tubing, given the adjustment devices already built in? The reason I ask is I can get my hands on an I.V. setup for next to nothing.

I appreciate the help and quick responses.

Bear

SparKy697 said:
I.V. Drip line is a perfect solution.

Cool, I will see if I can aqquire a I.V. kit before the next fish purchase, which will likely be after the bigger tank is purchased...

papa_bear_21 said:
Thanks for the article fishyfinatic, that helped a bunch.

ezy33, would there be any negatives to acclimating a fw fish in this manner? I would think that a less amount of time would be required, but I dont see any harm. I only ask, because this is all new to me, and want to make sure the fish get the best care possible...

IMO it's over kill! With FW fish it's temperature more than anything but mixing the bag water with the tank water a little at a time over a half hour is recommend. Dripping is required for SW fish mainly with Iverts. While stocking my 180 GAL predicator reef I used a 4 gang air line valve so I could drip 4 bags at a time. My current method is to dump most of the water in the bag. Put the bag into a gallon pitcher and let it drip until the bag is full. Dump again. This way I rarely over flow onto the floor.

FW fish can't just be dumped into a new tank after a stable temp is reached. They have to be acclimated otherwise they could go into shock.

Let me know how it goes Papa. IMO it's not overkill, many aquarists use this method for new FW species.

It was never stated that it was required. Just that many aquarists in the FW hobby follow that form of acclimation.

Fishyfanatic said:
It was never stated that it was required. Just that many aquarists in the FW hobby follow that form of acclimation.

I'll use it for practice for when I setup my brackish/saltwater tank...

Fishyfanatic said:
That wasn't directed at you Papa. But good luck with the tank.

I wasnt thinking it was, I'm not sure when, but will likely be using this method sooner than expected. I appreciate all; the help that you have provided fishyfanatic. Thank you for the info on this

Bear

Back
Top Bottom