Dropping like flies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spocker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had eight tiger barbs in a new 20 gal. Three left, seems to be one dying each night. Test kit says everything is fine. any thoughts?
Thanks!

What kind of test kit do you have, and what are the results on it?

How new of a tank is it?

Do you have any other fish?

Dont know how long the store had them Tanks been up about a week. There is a blue gourami and dwarf gourami in there as well and they seem ok. I used about 5 gal of water from an established 10gal tank during setup. the blue came from that tank. the test strips i have use colors so i dont know the actual readings. Thanks

First, at a week old the tank woould not be cycled properly... Water doesnt actually contain a whole heck of alot of Beneficial Bacteria (which is what helps brake down waste and stuff). You would have been better of using drippings from your other filter.

Here is a great link that explain cycling... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Second... The test strips are kind of.. garbage. They are not nearly as accurate as a chemical test kit. Most people recommend the API Freshwater Masterkit - You can usually find it online for around $20.

Third... The test strip bottle should have a little guide on it to let you know what each color means. Usually you peel away the label a bit and it will tell you a little number.

At any rate... I would do an emergency 75% water change on the tank. That should help with any ammonia or nitrate problem that you are probably having.

Did you use de-chlor on the new water? Most likely the tank has not cycled yet even with the 5 gallons from the old tank and the bioload from all the new fish has pushed your ammonia levels to toxic levels.

I did use use de-chlorinator. I'll def. try the water change! I do have the insert from the old filter. maybee i can put that in the new filter for a while?

It would help the new tank, but then youd have to worry about crashing your other tank.

Id stick with doing your 75% water change today, and then try to do a 50% water change twice a week until your tank is cycled.

I would definitely recommend getting that master kit, too. It is alot more accurate and, in the long run, cheaper than the strips since they do so many more tests.

Amazon.com: API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT: Pet Supplies

Are you making sure that you hold the ammonia strip in the water for 10 seconds, and then reading it after another 10 seconds?

And the Nitrate/Nitrite strips need to be dipped really quick, and then read after a minute.

Talvari said:
It would help the new tank, but then youd have to worry about crashing your other tank.

Id stick with doing your 75% water change today, and then try to do a 50% water change twice a week until your tank is cycled.

I would definitely recommend getting that master kit, too. It is alot more accurate and, in the long run, cheaper than the strips since they do so many more tests.

Amazon.com: API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT: Pet Supplies

Agreed here get the api kit. I would say there is probably a lot of ammonia with that much stocking especially since the tank is so young.

Back
Top Bottom