Duckweed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have some small rapidly growing green leaf things floating at the top of the tank- could his be duckweed? Will try for a pic soon

It may also be Salvinia, but duckweed leaves are much smaller.

Here are some terrible pics-

image-3553201285.jpg

image-1473967603.jpg

How do I get rid of it?

emerald76 said:
Here are some terrible pics-

How do I get rid of it?

Definitely duckweed. Just net it out every time you see it, and eventually it will all be gone.

Okay, thanks. It shouldn't be hard my tank is only ten gallons.

emerald76 said:
Okay, thanks. It shouldn't be hard my tank is only ten gallons.

Yeah, it will be super easy with only a few leaves. My 10g had a ton of it in it-almost enough to cover the entire surface. It took FOREVER to get it all out! LOL.

You don't have to get rid of it! But if you do don't let any DUCKWEED GO DOWN THE DRAIN! PUT IT OUT AND LET IT DRY DEAD!

Okay thanks! I won't put it down the drain. I might save a little for my guppy breeding tanks as fry cover

emerald76 said:
Okay thanks! I won't put it down the drain. I might save a little for my guppy breeding tanks as fry cover

Yeah that works, and you might be able to sell some back to your LFS!

Id think my LFS would take it for store credit

They'd be more likely to pay you to keep duckweed out of their tanks. Especially with central filtration, it can become a problem. Goldfish will eat it readily, but they even can't keep up with an established tank of it. IME

We have a lake near our house and every once in a while their is a massive outbreak of duckweed that is near impossible to control, definitely make sure it is dead before you get rid of it as it is invasive in many areas.

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom